Loctite on lower press in balljoints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just bought Moog lower ball joints for my truck. I've got the forged control arms. Moog includes Loctite to use between the body of the joint, and the control arm. That's new to me. Does that make them hard to remove later? Easier? Are people actually using it? I didn't when I did them before, but they weren't Moog either.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Loctite will make them more difficult to press out, but that may be a toss up if you live in the salt belt. It may be a bit easier if the loctite prevents rust between the joint and arm in the future.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Loctite will make them more difficult to press out, but that may be a toss up if you live in the salt belt. It may be a bit easier if the loctite prevents rust between the joint and arm in the future.

If the body of the ball joints were smooth, like the pictures, I'd doubt there would be a problem with corrsion. These are knurled, so keeping moisture out could be the idea.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Iv had to grind the first little bit of those splines off a ball joint to get it to start in the control arm before... I have never heard of using loctite on one... I just cut the stud off them with the grinder and knock them out with a BFH, I have never had and trouble getting one out this way. Usually 2 licks will knock one out if you get situated where you can swing and not hit the fender. I recommend using a jack stand under the control arm if you use this method tho, I have heard its possible to break the shock off, in which case the control arm is going to flip under the truck because of the preload on the torsion bar.