Locked up or blockage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigrich

Reaction score
Bought a 5.7 vortec with 118k on it, spun the flywheel over when looking at it to make sure it wasn't seized. It spun over easy. Fast forward to install, under the truck I was using a screwdriver to turn over the flywheel to run the converter bolts in, and again it spun over just fine. Grabbed the jumper cables (this trucks been sitting) and jumped it off, I turned it over with the ignition and it spun 1/2 sec and then stopped. I can hear the starter clunking trying to spin over but nothing. Tried to turn it over by
hand (balancer and flywheel no luck) anything else I should check? Weather is terrible so haven’t checked bendix quite yet. It’s Just weird all this time I've been spinning it by hand with ease lining up the torque converter bolts

Last edited:

Bigrich

Reaction score
I did notice when I was putting in the torque converter bolts that there was a little gap between the converter and the flywheel (when I tightened the bolts it pulled the converter forward to “fill” that small gap. Not sure if that has anything to do with stopping engine spinning over but wanted to give y’all all the info I’ve done so far

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did notice when I was putting in the torque converter bolts that there was a little gap between the converter and the flywheel (when I tightened the bolts it pulled the converter forward to “fill” that small gap. Not sure if that has anything to do with stopping engine spinning over but wanted to give y’all all the info I’ve done so far
That's normal. Called converter clearance. It should be 1/8" to 3/16". I've checked by inserting 1/8" and 3/16" drill bits in the gap.

I'm not sure what to say about your issue. Is your starter good? I would remove all spark plugs and if the engine spins freely.

Bigrich

Reaction score
That's normal. Called converter clearance. It should be 1/8" to 3/16". I've checked by inserting 1/8" and 3/16" drill bits in the gap.

I'm not sure what to say about your issue. Is your starter good? I would remove all spark plugs and if the engine spins freely.
Engine spun over with ease up until I went to attempt a roll over with the spark plugs out, after I installed converter bolts I I cranked on it and it turned over just a split second before I was unable to turn it by hand or ignition. Starter was fine last used on engine swap. I just wouldn’t think a motor would “lock up” after being able to spin it by hand, especially since I never started this motor so it has me thinking maybe started is engaged and I can’t move engine at all by hand, or something is going on

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the bell housing brought tight to the engine block before the bolts were tightened up? They say don't use the bolts to tighten up the gap between the bell housing to engine block.

And the torque converter should be seated correctly into the transmission pump. I like to put a straightedge across the bell housing of the transmission and measure to the converter pads. Double check with the drill bits, but based on what you described, sounds about right.

Maybe it's the starter that seized? Easy enough to remove it and try again.

Bigrich

Reaction score
Was the bell housing brought tight to the engine block before the bolts were tightened up? They say don't use the bolts to tighten up the gap between the bell housing to engine block.

And the torque converter should be seated correctly into the transmission pump. I like to put a straightedge across the bell housing of the transmission and measure to the converter pads. Double check with the drill bits, but based on what you described, sounds about right.

Maybe it's the starter that seized? Easy enough to remove it and try again.
I bolted the housing to the block first and then connected the converter. Weather is terrible out today so I was trying to get some ideas s what to look for when it warms back up. I appreciate the info

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Check the cables both positive and negative for corrosion and make sure they are tight.
I think this is the most likely failure point.

Get a helper to crank the key.

Use a volt meter with one lead on the positive post on the battery and the other on the big stud on the starter.

Do the same test from the negative post on the battery to the starter case.

Check the voltage when the helper tries to crank the starter.
If you read more than .5 volts the cables/connections are compromised.

The starter may have failed as well.

Turn the engine over with the 15/16" nut on the alternator.
It should turn easily though you may have some resistance from compression if the plugs are still in.
This will show if the engine is locked.

If it is still locked take out the torque converter bolts and try again.

Bigrich

Reaction score
Check the cables both positive and negative for corrosion and make sure they are tight.
I think this is the most likely failure point.

Get a helper to crank the key.

Use a volt meter with one lead on the positive post on the battery and the other on the big stud on the starter.

Do the same test from the negative post on the battery to the starter case.

Check the voltage when the helper tries to crank the starter.
If you read more than .5 volts the cables/connections are compromised.

The starter may have failed as well.

Turn the engine over with the 15/16" nut on the alternator.
It should turn easily though you may have some resistance from compression if the plugs are still in.
This will show if the engine is locked.

If it is still locked take out the torque converter bolts and try again.
I’ll try that, thanks for the info. I’m charging the battery as well maybe that’ll scratch off the list