Local Mom & Pop Vendors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
plenty of places to get an alignment

That's the problem, there aren't. Well technically there are, but just about every other place in town has screwed me over in one way or another over the years. I'm talking everything from damaging parts and then denying it, to losing parts, to wheels on family member's vehicles literally falling off.

I know the old saying "if you have problems with everyone, maybe you're the problem" but I swear I'm innocent in this case. :lol: There is one other shop in town that used to do alignments I haven't checked into recently, but they've got new owners since I was there last and I'm not sure if they still offer them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well technically there are, but just about every other place in town has screwed me over in one way or another over the years.
I'm lucky, my son works at Brakes Plus where they have all the proper stuff to do most everything. I just take my vehicle in, go to a great Mexican restaurant next door for lunch, and come back to take it home. I bring the parts with me and he doesn't charge labor. He's very meticulous and accurate on pretty much everything he does, besides, he knows if he screws up I'll disown him :anitoof:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hadn't heard anything at 4PM so I called them. Guy on the phone says "It's the next one in, it'll be done by close." :nono:

At least my 8AM appointment meant they got to it the same day I brought it in... Barely...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hadn't heard anything at 4PM so I called them. Guy on the phone says "It's the next one in, it'll be done by close." :nono:

At least my 8AM appointment meant they got to it the same day I brought it in... Barely...
I manage a tire and auto shop. We live and die by our schedule. If I bring something in unscheduled I always let the customer know that I will work them in but I can't guarantee a time. An 8am appointment crammed in at close is ridiculous. You know that if their pushing that much work through their door that they aren't taking the time to do anything right.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An 8am appointment crammed in at close is ridiculous. You know that if their pushing that much work through their door that they aren't taking the time to do anything right.

Agreed 100%. I didn't post about it again last night because I was pretty upset after I picked the truck up. They didn't even adjust anything besides toe. Granted nothing else was that far off, but it wasn't perfect. They asked if I wanted to bring it back today and they'd go over it again, I declined. I don't want these bums touching my vehicles any more.

Cross another one off the list I suppose. After an extensive Google search there are two shops left in this city that I haven't tried who offer alignments, and I already know one of those two is garbage. Guess I'll call the last one on Monday and get it in there.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's a shame you can't find a decent place!

In a city of 120K+ people no less... You would think there would be at least one good shop in the bunch. But then again I drive 20 miles outside of town to go to my trusted mechanic (who runs an EXCELLENT mom & pop garage).

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're a dying breed, aren't they? I'm talking about the local specialty supplier that offers higher quality product than the chain stores. In Louisville Kentucky, there are two such examples left. One is a battery refurbish company that has the cheapest battery prices in town. I have used them a lot through the years and they have never let me down.
The second place is THE go-to for starters and alternators. They're the exclusive supplier for trucking companies, county agencies (police/fire/EMS, etc), and many shops. It's been ran out of the family's garage at their home since the '70s. The alternator just gave up in my truck. Chain stores want $85-$150 plus $25 core. The little garage? $75 & $10 core. And you can bet your *** that it'll be a quality piece!
What about you? Any "sure-thing" local suppliers left in your town?
I'm still disappointed in NAPA. They used to be all about quality and hard to find parts. They aren't crap, but definitely not what they used to be.

Actually.....in a way the outsourcing of manufacturing has created two very distinct segments of any industry. There are the national/global companies that have gobbled up all the big name legacy companies, and then there are the "boutique" companies that often feature American made, or at least higher quality, products--albeit more expensive! Seeing this in a big way with outdoor and hunting gear.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some KUIU pants (made in Asia). I've never paid $140 for pants before........:oops:

I've had more problems warrantying NAPA stuff than all other products I've ever bought. NAPA is my last resort these days. I like the idea they are local owned franchises, but.......

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd give just about anything to have one good mom and pop tire shop in this city. It's all chains, and my main mechanic doesn't do alignments. Taking my red truck into one of the few chain shops that hasn't wronged me in some way or another (yet) this morning to get the alignment checked and I'm already nervous.

Yeah, I know......
I use locally owned tire stores--one on the West Slope where I live, and one on the Front Range where I do a lot of work. To my knowledge, the one on the Front Range is the only locally owned tire store in a county with 300k+ population.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually just found another shop whose website claims they offer alignments, locally owned and run out of a full service gas station that I remember going to when I was a kid. The shop portion of the business is by appointment only, I'll talk to them on Monday. Fingers crossed...