Load springs/Boost springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been researching rebuilding my 700R4/4L60 and came across an interesting theory on whether to use or not use the boost springs.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
His discussion starts at the 1:24:00 mark.
I'm in agreeance with him that they should be used to prevent the clutches from dragging and burning when not applied but can also see why the ATSG book says not to use them. I've got an idea for modifying these so you get the benefit of having them in there without the issue they could cause when you do use them
Not sure how these things got their name. They don't boost engagement or apply load. They spread the apply plate and backing plate to speed the release of the clutch and hold the plates apart when the clutch is not applied.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been researching rebuilding my 700R4/4L60 and came across an interesting theory on whether to use or not use the boost springs.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
His discussion starts at the 1:24:00 mark.
I'm in agreeance with him that they should be used to prevent the clutches from dragging and burning when not applied but can also see why the ATSG book says not to use them. I've got an idea for modifying these so you get the benefit of having them in there without the issue they could cause when you do use them
Not sure how these things got their name. They don't boost engagement or apply load. They spread the apply plate and backing plate to speed the release of the clutch and hold the plates apart when the clutch is not applied.
I'm going to be doing a video specifically on this topic as there's tons of questions I get on my channel about them and my approach is on a case by case basis but generally, if your clearance is .025-.035, I install them...If clearance is between .045-.060 and application is non-High Performance/High RPM, i leave them out...If application is HP/High RPM and clearance is .025-.050, I install them (sometimes in conjunction with Transgo's Hight Rate Return Springs).

ETA: They are called 'load release springs' and you can modify them by removing one of the springs if you are 'in between' clutch clearances (i.e .036-.040) and doing moderate to high performance.

As an aside to the channel you linked, Hiram is an awesome builder...I leveraged many of his videos starting around 10-12 years ago when I began teaching myself how to build transmissions...

Last edited: