Light problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshd04

Reaction score
Having problems I lost my instrument panel lights,running lights,tail lights and license plate light. My head lights and break lights are still working. All bulbs and fuses are good. I also switched out the light switch and dimmer switch and same results. Any help please???

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I guess you may also have a bad ground under the hood.... probably where it connects from the firewall under the heater hoses to the frame below. there is also another ground from this spot down and up through a heat shield to the rear of the passanger head. and of course theres the negative on the battery to the fender right beside it.

big3500

Reaction score
Any luck with this. I am in the same boat. In my research, I have come to think it has to do with the aftermarket HU. Can you tell me if you solve this yet?

big3500

Reaction score
Well, I seem to have found the root cause of my issue and solve the problem.

The issue is in the light switch, which overheated from the amount of current that my new 7in HU screen draws. Good news is that all one needs to do in this cases is open the switch and clean the carbon out of the contacts. Bad news is this might happen again, specially if prolong night drives are a habit. Below are 2 picture of my switch and the damage caused.

Attachments

• 117B58BE-7290-4CCC-8B80-A47C096816B9.jpeg
    117B58BE-7290-4CCC-8B80-A47C096816B9.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 5
  • C6262CFD-E514-4703-A4F3-A90F2B1F0B6A.jpeg
    C6262CFD-E514-4703-A4F3-A90F2B1F0B6A.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 6

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An " HU" display. Are saying a "HUD" ? Do you have it wired through your headlight switch? The switch you might notice gets warm, maybe? It does have an internal Circuit Breaker. But it seems many switches are operating capacity. And adding an additional circuit may be asking to much from the headlight switch. Good luck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your display is drawing too much amperage, put it on a relay.

Also, why is it drawing through the headlamp switch? Does it only come on when the lights are on? Why aren't you drawing from the convenience center?

big3500

Reaction score
An " HU" display. Are saying a "HUD" ? Do you have it wired through your headlight switch? The switch you might notice gets warm, maybe? It does have an internal Circuit Breaker. But it seems many switches are operating capacity. And adding an additional circuit may be asking to much from the headlight switch. Good luck.
HU as in head unit(after market radio) with a screen. Only the dimmer circuit is by design attached to the light switch, so screen know when to dim at night. This is the source of all this evil.

big3500

Reaction score
If your display is drawing too much amperage, put it on a relay.

Also, why is it drawing through the headlamp switch? Does it only come on when the lights are on? Why aren't you drawing from the convenience center?
Only the dimmer circuit is connected to the switch. And it draws more cuz of poor design I think. I like the relay idea. Thank you.