License plate options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because your license plate is very much a visual part of our trucks. I value my peers opinions, so feel free to share, please...

My state sucks on many levels when it comes to choices (has improved some, but not enough).
Depending on the plate you choose, you either get what you're given, or you can personalize it for an extra fee (charged yearly). NOW, depending on your choice, it's either a 5 digit or a 6 digit plate (digits=spaces). Hard to come up with something catchy using only 5 or 6 spaces...
You must be registered for see images attach

...So help me out here... I have my "personalization" in mind for the top one (GMT400 was one I was considering, but settled on something else). The Antique plate would more than pay for itself by the second year... what to do?

Well, since you asked ( :D ) my opinion is that I've never been fond of personalized license plates which state the obvious, like what kind of vehicle or year the damn thing is. Like, anyone who cares already has a general if not exact idea and anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention or doesn't give a **** or it means nothing to them. Also, don't go too "personalized" with the damn thing. If it only makes sense to you, why bother? When my wife and I did personalized plates for the vehicles in our fleet which have them, we ran the ideas by a test audience of random people to see if they could figure out what they meant at a glance. We did this after seeing other plates on the road and going, "WTF is that supposed to mean?" or "They wasted money on that?"

At least in AZ the historic plates look good, made of copper too. They're $25 and $10/year plus registration is $118 for 5 years.

I like that!:waytogo:

Really? I'm surprised copper bandits don't try and lift 'em for scrap value haha. Here in Detroit I'm sure they would..

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...Kentucky's hideous Antique plate for the win!!! Turns out that if your "vehicle is 25 years old or older and you have an Antique Motor Vehicle license plate registered to the vehicle, you can keep the plate and receipt in the glove box, you can mount an official Kentucky license plate that is 25 years old or older," -And I have found one. So I'm good. Sure sounds like I'll be getting pulled over a lot, but its Kentucky's law. Hell, I've got nothing to hide.

Really? THat doesn't make much logical sense at all. Not trying to brow beat ya but the whole idea of registering a plate is so they can look you up by your plate. Mounting some random plate to your vehicle can't be legal. Unless of course when you mentioned "official Kentucker license plate" you meant that plate was then registered to your vehicle. I'm confused..

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Um...my last post? Scratch that. I went to pull the trigger on that plan and the clerk informed me that it no longer works that way, AND, other complications/consequences of having Antique plates. So... back to the drawing board.
Candidates so far are;

My favorite was "WSNT ME"

Great thing about it is you can transfer it to any vehicle, it isn't vehicle specific and is humorous.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? THat doesn't make much logical sense at all. Not trying to brow beat ya but the whole idea of registering a plate is so they can look you up by your plate. Mounting some random plate to your vehicle can't be legal. Unless of course when you mentioned "official Kentucker license plate" you meant that plate was then registered to your vehicle. I'm confused..
I'm pretty sure that's the process. My parents are serial vehicle buyers (my step dad loves going to auctions and finding good deals) and they rotate the same 4 plates around whatever they're driving, just stops by the DMV and registers the plate to whatever car he's switching it to and non-ops the one he's selling. This is in a different state, but I'm sure the process is similar.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
At least in AZ the historic plates look good, made of copper too. They're $25 and $10/year plus registration is $118 for 5 years.

I like that!:waytogo:

What are the restrictions on the historic plate as far as usage? The website doesn't say jack **** on what you can and can't do. I asked an officer here at work and he didn't know either. I keep trying to find a motor officer to ask but haven't cornered one yet.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the restrictions on the historic plate as far as usage?
There are no restrictions if you keep your regular insurance. If you get "collector car" insurance your vehicle is exempt and you can get 5 year registration but, you agree to drive it only to shows or other functions with "occasional" trips to the lumber yard or other hauling. I have Farmers Insurance on my 88, we agreed it's worth $11K, mainly for Comprehensive coverage, I don't carry Collision. They can cancel my insurance if I drive it too much but it's not my DD so, I'm not worried.

After I got my insurance I had to contact MVD and get them to give me that registration. As you can see, mine doesn't show a date when Emissions expire (upper right corner). HTH

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, here's what you need for that.

Edit: See #2 for restrictions.

Last edited:

Nickpisp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since you asked ( :D ) my opinion is that I've never been fond of personalized license plates which state the obvious, like what kind of vehicle or year the damn thing is. Like, anyone who cares already has a general if not exact idea and anyone who doesn't isn't paying attention or doesn't give a **** or it means nothing to them. Also, don't go too "personalized" with the damn thing. If it only makes sense to you, why bother? When my wife and I did personalized plates for the vehicles in our fleet which have them, we ran the ideas by a test audience of random people to see if they could figure out what they meant at a glance. We did this after seeing other plates on the road and going, "WTF is that supposed to mean?" or "They wasted money on that?"

Really? I'm surprised copper bandits don't try and lift 'em for scrap value haha. Here in Detroit I'm sure they would..
I’m with you, they should have a committee for personalized plates. If 4 out of 5 people can’t figure it out, you can’t have it.