Let's clear something up for you guys, shall we?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The best way to convert would be to go from cm to inches with the bore and stroke. The ratio is exactly 2.54 to 1.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all in all ive seen bbc thatl do circles around sbc and sbc thatl do circles around bbc
no 2 motors are exactly alike u can build em any way u want and make em any way u want just depends
i like bb's because of all the torque,my truck used to have a 454 in it but im happy with my 350,,,,well until i put my new heads and cam in

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've heard a 5.3L called a 327, the LS 5.7L called a 350, and the 6.0L called a 400.

Since you guys got into the subject of swapping LS engines into older vehicles, I could never do that. It's not my thing. I don't like engines without distributors, dont ask why. I really don't like fuel injection either.

And yea, I'm 19 too. But, that doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I just like distributors and carbs.
I'm actually seriously considering swapping a 350 in my GMC to replace the 262. And if I get my hands on that engine, I'm going to keep TBI. It's going to be a stock motor with bolt ons. I'll have $300 for the motor, and probably $500 more in parts including long tubes and a Hot Chip from TBI Chips. I'll probably get an SS cluster while I'm at it. I could probably spend $2000 and have a 6.0L that could run circles around what I'm wanting to do. But that's not what I want. The only reason I'm even using TBI is because getting a chip is cheaper then a distributor, carb, and an intake.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've heard a 5.3L called a 327, the LS 5.7L called a 350, and the 6.0L called a 400.

Since you guys got into the subject of swapping LS engines into older vehicles, I could never do that. It's not my thing. I don't like engines without distributors, dont ask why. I really don't like fuel injection either.

And yea, I'm 19 too. But, that doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I just like distributors and carbs.
I'm actually seriously considering swapping a 350 in my GMC to replace the 262. And if I get my hands on that engine, I'm going to keep TBI. It's going to be a stock motor with bolt ons. I'll have $300 for the motor, and probably $500 more in parts including long tubes and a Hot Chip from TBI Chips. I'll probably get an SS cluster while I'm at it. I could probably spend $2000 and have a 6.0L that could run circles around what I'm wanting to do. But that's not what I want. The only reason I'm even using TBI is because getting a chip is cheaper then a distributor, carb, and an intake.

if you want to get technical the LS 5.7L is a "350" but has nothing in common with a 350 Gen1.

A carb swap would nickle and dime you to death, especially if you have a 4L60E.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think he just means that the original 5.7 LS1 was 346ci. The factory like to round up and round down their number's and always have.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you want to get technical the LS 5.7L is a "350" but has nothing in common with a 350 Gen1.

A carb swap would nickle and dime you to death, especially if you have a 4L60E.

The GEN 3 5.7L is a 346 I'm pretty sure.

I figure I could spend about $200 to keep TBI or spend about $600 or so for a carb setup and not be any better off since I'm keeping stock heads and cam. If I was building the motor, a Holley carb would be on top. But stock heads and cam will be fine with just TBI.

I kinda still want to build my V6 but a complete TBI 350 for $300 seems like the smart thing. That would hardly buy an intake for Vortec V6 heads. Less money for more power sounds good.

Last edited:

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
LS1's are 346 cid as mentioned. Just as much of a 350 as the 5.3 is a 327. I know it's splitting hairs really but it's the misconception of how they somehow are just like their Gen 1 bretheren ( which they share nothing but bore centers and roller lifters with) that people have. Just like the idiots that thought the AMC 327 is a Chev engine and the list is endless.

I don't get the 400 cid thing with the 6 liter though, that's just being a retard. I mean most of the old dumb rednecks that would say though probably have seen Smokey and the Bandit. The old TA's that had 400 Pontiacs and 403 Old's in them even had "6.6 litre" on the hood shaker. You can't fix stupid though, neither should you try.

89rcsb

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that stupid people made the choice to be stupid or someone did for them (their parents).

Some people just don't wish to learn. Everyone is capable of learning... some people just don't care enough to make themselves smarter.