Let’s play a round of “Name that sound!”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Define "work right".

If you mean "will the engine start and run long enough for me to finish the job properly by using a scan tool to set the cam sensor-to-crank sensor synchronization" I'd say your chances were pretty good.

If you mean "will the distributor get set back in place so perfectly I can drive for thousands of miles without needing to use a scan tool to synchronize the sensor outputs" I'd say your chances are approximately zero. Part of the issue is that you don't know if the sensor signals are within spec BEFORE you yank the distributor. You could be out-of-spec now.
Thanks for the info! So is it likely it will run well enough to drive 15 miles to a shop to have it set properly?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote this article about setting a vortec distributor and thought it might be useful for y'all. I wrote it and coded the page on the tail end of a 14 hour graveyard shift, so let me know if you find something that needs correction, my brain starts to get fried at those hours.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html
I haven’t used this particular write up but I have used this procedure a couple of times. It’s supposed to get you within range to finish the cam crank correlation.