Leaky Suburban driving me crazy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
That is 100% what I have been dealing with. I notice that for the barn door one like mine it just says the new weatherstripping has a sealant in the channel. I might try to take the whole weatherstripping off and seal it again with new 3m sealant. I used a tube i had that was 2 or 3 years old so I am not 100% it was fully bonding. This really helped btw!

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM did revise the weatherstripping on these through a TSB.

My Tahoe has a leak similar to yours, but it’s a tailgate model. Water travels along the face of the weatherstripping and pools at the bottom, overflowing into the cargo area. Mine is an obvious misalignment of the liftglass and tailgate, but I’ve never been able to remedy it. The final solution (and it still irritates me to no end) was this...

You made those vertical slices in your weatherstripping I take it? And that has worked, you can see the water exiting there? If so, I'm willing to give it a try on mine. That bottom-row area of leakage never occurred to me as a possibility, and I always assumed it was coming from the top somewhere and just landing on my rear carpet. I already had the top window weatherstripping replaced but that didn't help. And what you described is the same problem I have, and its worse when I have the plastic cargo mat installed and the water is trapped in the carpet (i.e. cannot evaporate).

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I gave up trying to stop the water from coming in and just gave it a place to leave. It works, but it was a last resort kind of thing.

One possible workaround (and it just came to mind) is to slightly lift up that lower portion of the weatherstripping on both ends so that it slopes down to the center where the ends meet. Maybe it could drain out there.

TBaganATX

Reaction score
I have been chasing leaks from front to back on my 94 Blazer..
In the front I would have water pooling on the floor mat. I took off the cowl and some dip$hit made an extra screw hole went reinstalling the cowl. Siliconed all good. Rear, replaced 3rd taillight a few years ago.. well the doubled sided taped sucked. Removed and replaced also siliconed 2 notches where the light sits in.. fixed. Last one the seal on the rear window is jacked from the body shop that painted it. Need a new windows.

All started after having it painted. [emoji2357].

Good luck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsiff

Reaction score
I had a leak in my burb couple years back. I had thought of the weather stripping but it looked fine. Sealed the roof rack, didnt help, check the back window and no signs of water. Mine finally ended up being the drivers side rear quarter panel glass. Whoever replaced the window didnt seal it properly and water was coming through the gasket into the cab an either flowing backwards towards the back glass or towards the second row which is why it took my forever to find it. Sit inside an have someone outside with a hose spraying the truck, it's worth a shot to see if you spot a drip
crazy... mine was the VERY same...