Leaking throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to replacing my intake gaskets and found this. It looks like it's been leaking for a while. Will a throttle body rebuild kit give me the gaskets and seals to fix it, or is it pooched?
You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it should. That’s your fuel pressure regulator. In there there’s a spring and a rubber/metal “sheet” (the orange piece you see). The gasket kit comes with everything.

The gaskets will be baked on to the mounting surface. Clean them real well and inspect them for any warping.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that fuel or oil? If your truck has the crankcase vent coming in at back of the breather riser that could be oil vapor gunk. If it is the FPR and you have to rebuild it check the flange on the spring housing for flatness. If those four screws got overtightened it will pull the ears up and create gaps between the screws and it will leak like a sieve.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that fuel or oil? If your truck has the crankcase vent coming in at back of the breather riser that could be oil vapor gunk. If it is the FPR and you have to rebuild it check the flange on the spring housing for flatness. If those four screws got overtightened it will pull the ears up and create gaps between the screws and it will leak like a sieve.
I'll clean it up and check this morning. I didn't think about the vent right there.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll clean it up and check this morning. I didn't think about the vent right there.
If it is fuel and that is the accumulation over a long period of time I suggest leaving it alone. Unless it's wet with gas it's really not leaking.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it should. That’s your fuel pressure regulator. In there there’s a spring and a rubber/metal “sheet” (the orange piece you see). The gasket kit comes with everything.
Some kits don't come with the Pressure Regulator Diaphragm. Check to make sure.

Tomcat71

Tomcat Fixer
Reaction score
Remember TBI units need to be rebuilt just like carbs, New seals and regulator Diaphragm. wouldn't hurt to drop the injectors in a Ultrasonic cleaner for 30 min or so before you reassemble. I always clean carb and tbi parts in an ultrasonic cleaner. they work fantastic.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some kits don't come with the Pressure Regulator Diaphragm. Check to make sure.
Yeah,I just got burned on that one but it was of my own doing,I didn't read the description.
There are gasket kits and there are rebuild kits. Gasket kits don't have the regulator diaphragm,injector screens or support rings for the upper injector o-rings,only the gaskets and o-rings. I did order the kit for the 454 TB but got the small bore base gasket.