Large leak under engine. 6.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I discovered a massive leak, which I believe can be either diesel fuel or power steering fluid. Recently my truck has been making some weird whining noises once in a while when I steer hard to the right, and can get louder as the engine revs up. This what makes me believe it's power steering fluid. I don't know where the heck you check or even fill the power steering fluid because the truck has been retrofitted for snow plowing, and I see no reservoir where the power steering fluid usually goes (bellow the a/c compressor). I drive a 96 k3500 6.5 diesel. I assume it could also be fuel that's leaking because on the top the engine head near cylinder 8 (Pic 2 is an illustration) is soaked with fluid from a nut on one of the fuel lines. What could this be? Any suggestions? Will probably have to take this in for a repair anyways, but recently, I’ve been very busy.

This is what I believe is a reservoir for hydraulic fluid for the plow, but could it also be for the power steering too?
You must be registered for see images attach

(Pic 2) There is a fuel line that goes into the engine around the location of the red circle (or a little below it), and there a nut on a fuel line that I believe connects to the injector around the location of the red circle. I believe this is the source of the massive leak. The red circle indicates where the engine is soaked with fluid as well.

I will post more pics soon,

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess the fuel leak is coming from the injector return line or the cap on the rear nipple of the number 8 injector. They are made of rubber and will degrade over time. You can get new lines that push on instead of using the pain in the rear clamps. Leroy diesel, quadstartuning sell the kits if that is what you are needing. As for the power steering leak the pump is buried under the ac comp. It tough to see even on my 95 that has the alt above it. Try to get a pic of the fuel leak area so we can get a better idea of what's leaking

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sound like the kinda guy that needs to go to a shop, these are basics. Power steering fluid is diff' from diesel by color, feel and smell. Growl grind when turning takes more effort? Increase with rpm increase? Hand slapping forehead.

Tornexted

Reaction score
I would guess the fuel leak is coming from the injector return line or the cap on the rear nipple of the number 8 injector. They are made of rubber and will degrade over time. You can get new lines that push on instead of using the pain in the rear clamps. Leroy diesel, quadstartuning sell the kits if that is what you are needing. As for the power steering leak the pump is buried under the ac comp. It tough to see even on my 95 that has the alt above it. Try to get a pic of the fuel leak area so we can get a better idea of what's leaking

Here we go. As per the power steering issue, the steering wheel feels totally normal. It's just that when I turn sharply to the right, sometimes it makes a whining noise that gets louder with the engine. It sounds as if it's low on power steering fluid, but idk where the heck to check it. The noise comes and goes.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess that the return line or that cap I mentioned is leaking fuel. Im betting its the cap. You will have a line going from number 8 to number 6 and so on till the front of the engine where number 2 will hook up to the return line that goes back to the tank. On the number 8 facing the firewall there will be just a cap on the nipple. It is hard to see on the passenger side due to the turbo and all the other stuff in the way. If you look at the drivers side it is a mirror image of the passenger side and you can get a idea of what it looks like. Those caps and line are a PITA to get off. If they are OEM they have little clamps on them. The ones I mentioned just have to put a little lube on and push on and they stay. Only the 2 caps on the rear injectors use clamps.

I would clean the grit and grime off around that area and start the truck and watch to see exactly where it is leaking. It is possible that the injector line is leaking but if it was you would notice that when it is running since it would seem like it is misfiring.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here we go. As per the power steering issue, the steering wheel feels totally normal. It's just that when I turn sharply to the right, sometimes it makes a whining noise that gets louder with the engine. It sounds as if it's low on power steering fluid, but idk where the heck to check it. The noise comes and goes.
Take a picture of the P/S pump area so we can see what your looking at there.

Tornexted

Reaction score
Take a picture of the P/S pump area so we can see what your looking at there.
Hello! Here to provide an update. We can definitely rule out that it is not diesel that is leaking. As someone said earlier, diesel is very easily identifiable. Thanks for that tip. What appears to be leaking is something that is similar to vegetable oil. Yellow and clear. It has no smell at all. Can't be engine oil either. Transmission oil is at at an appropriate level. Any suggestions, I would high appreciate it. Again, the leak continues… :/

Here are some pics of the power steering area.

Last edited:

Tornexted

Reaction score
Just some more pics of underneath the engine and info. Click on image to zoom.

Underneath engine near exhaust U-pipe

Oil filter area

Between engine and transmission