L29 noise (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carbed/ HEI converted L29. This noise started about 3 weeks ago, only faint, at cold start, and then would go away when engine would warm up (195 t stat). Yesterday that changed. She is louder now. Coming from the passenger side. Engine has good power on acceleration.
Anyone had this happen before? (And what was it?)

timing I had it set to for the past 3 weeks

timing retarded a bit, to slow everything down for a better listen

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. I'm not downloading files from a foreign source I'm not sure of.

2. Noise on one side of the engine? First guess is exhaust leak--cracked exhaust manifold, perhaps. Manifold expands from heat, somewhat seals the crack as the iron expands. My L29 has broken exhaust manifold bolts, and I suspect a crack in the manifold(s) as well. Common problem. Other potential issues could be bent pushrod(s) or failing lifters. Perhaps a cracked flexplate, but that wouldn't tend to sound like it was coming from the side of the engine.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We all will probably watch listen if you post video tube.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. I'm not downloading files from a foreign source I'm not sure of.

2. Noise on one side of the engine? First guess is exhaust leak--cracked exhaust manifold, perhaps. Manifold expands from heat, somewhat seals the crack as the iron expands. My L29 has broken exhaust manifold bolts, and I suspect a crack in the manifold(s) as well. Common problem. Other potential issues could be bent pushrod(s) or failing lifters. Perhaps a cracked flexplate, but that wouldn't tend to sound like it was coming from the side of the engine.
U don't have to download it. There's a preview to play the video. And Mega.nz is the cloud version of Megaupload, which has been around since the late 90s. Lol Better than icloud apple bs

As for what u mentioned, I was able to pin point the ticking coming from the exhaust valve on piston #6, it's goin down the exact same time as intake valve on #8, ever had that happen to you?

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a better link

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a failed whatever the proper name is for that clip that holds the guts of the lifter inside the lifter body. It's happened to me 3 times. The lifters themselves have never given me any trouble, but quality control seriously missed the mark on that very simple, very inexpensive part. L31maxexpress had a slick idea to replace those failure-prone clips with snap rings. If the cause does not reveal itself to the naked eye, I'd pull the pushrod for the guilty valve(s) and see what the borescope can see.