Knock/tap after engine was covered with snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
I would be shocked as hell if that turned out to be a cracked block from the snow.
I highly doubt it.
And I dont think you could hydro lock it unless you shoveled snow and packed it into the intake while it was running.
We have been involved with hydroplane racing since the late 60s and at one time or another every one of the boats have flipped and dropped a red hot engine into the lake.
Ive never seen one thermal shock so bad that it cracked.
Not even the aluminum Buick/Olds 215s
As long as the deadman switch worked, and it wasnt running they didnt even hydrolock either.
And some of those boats sank and stayed on the bottom for a week.
I think you have a "coincidental"
In other words a problem that has nothing to do with the snow bank but you associate it with the snow bank because of vehicular trauma.
Take the serp belt off and run it.
Make sure you dont have a broken motor mount or trans mount.
Look for exhaust and heat shield banging.
Look for suspension parts especially shocks mounts banging.
Make sure the ring gear didnt get packed full of **** and has a little damn rock flying around inside the bellhousing.
Yep, that can happen and it will make you nuts trying to find it.
And, the one everybody misses
Pull the starter and make sure the throwout fork for the bendix hasnt failed and the noise you are hearing isnt the starter gear skipping off of the ring gear.
If all of that fails, I would start looking at a cracked flex plate way way before I thought about it being an internal problem.
That’s the most reassuring answer I’ve read on this site so far,thank you lol. I planned on checking it out after work but since you mentioned it,I almost wanna bet on it being my starter or fan..I forgot i had to just throw one on that was sitting in the garage,and my dad managed to bend a fan when the same engine was in another truck. Idk,I’m just glad I got a little more to go off of now. Thanks again,I appreciate everyone’s help!

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Alright so I’ve had the truck parked until about a week ago. It’s still knocking when it first starts and when it shuts down. Clutch is making all sorts of noise as well until I press the pedal. Could it possibly be loose flywheel bolts? It’s gradually getting worse. Oil pressure is still fine,no glitter in the oil,lifters are right,and it’s definitely not exhaust leaking. Need help cuz I’m trying to make the engine last until fall if possible

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Alright so I’ve had the truck parked until about a week ago. It’s still knocking when it first starts and when it shuts down. Clutch is making all sorts of noise as well until I press the pedal. Could it possibly be loose flywheel bolts? It’s gradually getting worse. Oil pressure is still fine,no glitter in the oil,lifters are right,and it’s definitely not exhaust leaking. Need help cuz I’m trying to make the engine last until fall if possible
May be loose flywheel bolts. We had a 305 pickup ages ago that had that problem, but it was never bad enough to dig into it. Definitely worth looking at though!

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Everything was tight..I think it’s just about time for this engine to go lol I noticed a little coolant leaking around the intake though so maybe I cracked another intake. Who knows,it’s too hot to keep messing with it today
The trans is probably also about to go,it’s got 320k and never been rebuilt or anything. I’ve heard nv3500s turn to glass after so many miles and I haven’t been too easy on mine lol.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Have you drained the oil to check?
Yessir, It still looked like fresh oil, no metal or coolant or gas in it either.
today I started it and it didn't make any noise, drove it for 45mins, shut it off and restarted it to see if it would knock again and it didnt. I have no idea what this engines deal is lol but now im back to just hearing my throwout bearing which is somehow a plus lol