Killing ICM's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I thought I remembered that JD had done something like that. I've PM'ed him. Do any of you know if I would need to do anything else to regulate pressure from a higher pressure pump?

If I recall correctly, the Vortec pumps put out about 60 psi or so. Obviously I don't want to send that much pressure to the throttle body injectors. Would the stock regulator in the throttle body be able to take care of that?

Also, I have a bypass style regulator on the return line, so that's how I currently adjust the fuel pressure, so would I need to do anything differently (such as a feed line regulator), or should my current setup work the same, just with some adjustment?

Sorry for all the questions, but these aren't really topics that are covered in your general Hayne's manual. lol. I figured you guys would have a little more experience, since I've never messed much with fuel system stuff. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I really need to get this thing back on the road ASAP, since it's my DD and I have to use it fairly regularly.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Unless you up the pressure on the OEM regulator, its just going to be in permanent bypass.

Your aftermarket regulator on the return line will force the pressure up depending on where you have it set.

This is essentially what the OEM regulator does, its a controlled leak back to the tank....all regulators work essentially like that. Pressure is a matter of how big of a leak you allow (is: the setting).

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something to think about is the more fuel you force through the bypass the more heat you build. Probably not a noticeable effect the you would lose some fuel density and potentially some power.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Just wanted to update you guys.

It was the pump. Gave my mechanic a call, and he told me what he'd charge. Keep in mind that I just filled the 30 gallon tank less than 30 miles ago. I don't have access to a good place to work on it, not the kind of project I wanted to tackle in the driveway.

Got it to start by using a rubber mallet on the tank. Drove it less than 1/4 mile, and it died on me when I was going 30 mph. Got it to the side of the road, did it again, and got it to his shop. He's just going to put an OEM unit in there, if this one goes too soon, then I'll have had time to do some research about pumps and pressure, but for now, I figured that the old one lasted for almost 2 years with the current setup, and it was almost 20 years old, so I'll just do that.

Thanks for all the help, just kind of weird it never gave me any problems while driving until today. Should get it back tomorrow.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Good deal, Like i said, sorry about my first post on this being a little misleading. You can usually do that to limp it along until the pump is replaced. Glad you found it.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
No worries, I appreciate it. Notice I decided to use a rubber mallet......no chance of sparking, lol.

It was kind of a pain since my battery was also completely dead from all the times trying to start it, but it's a brand new battery with a 5 year warranty, so if it dies, then it's not a problem. I was hoping to get the truck back today, but should definitely have it on Monday.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Sounds good. I usually just grab the hitch out of the receiver. Its handy and has enough weight to get even a stubborn one going usually. I don't usually have such luxuries as a nice mallet or dead blow or anything of the sort on the side of the road or wherever it quits lol.