Key in ignition sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btd1967

Reaction score
I had a shift cable installed and when I got the truck back the ignition alarm will not turn off. Mechanic can't help, any ideas?
It is a 1996 K1500.
Thanks,
Brian

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Dome lights working properly? Check your driver side door pin switch on the side of the dash, it may have been broken.

Does it do it with the key removed, or only with the key in? In run or only when off/accy? I can't imagine they'd have managed to cut the wire going to the multifunction switch and it's now grounding out on the column, but I guess anything is possible... That wire runs from the warning buzzer module to the column, then goes to the door pin switch where if a door is opened, it goes to ground.

btd1967

Reaction score
Dome lights working properly? Check your driver side door pin switch on the side of the dash, it may have been broken.

Does it do it with the key removed, or only with the key in? In run or only when off/accy? I can't imagine they'd have managed to cut the wire going to the multifunction switch and it's now grounding out on the column, but I guess anything is possible... That wire runs from the warning buzzer module to the column, then goes to the door pin switch where if a door is opened, it goes to ground.

Chime only sounds when the key is in the ignition, and it sounds as log as the key is in, it does not matter what position the switch is in.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Chime only sounds when the key is in the ignition, and it sounds as log as the key is in, it does not matter what position the switch is in.
IIRC that's what it's supposed to do. The theory is that the noise reminds you to take the key out of the lock cylinder before you lock the vehicle up and leave it. If you open the door with the truck running, the alarm will come on. If you have the key in the lock cylinder (column switch), but the vehicle is not running, the alarm should be on UNTIL the key is removed. BUT, if the key IS NOT in the lock cylinder, the alarm should not come on. That's how it is supposed to function. If it doesn't work that way, then you have a problem. Start by looking at the driver's door pin switch. Also, is the lock cylinder loose? If it has much play or slop in it, this system may not work correctly. Good luck, hope this'll clarify things.