John deere hydrogaurd transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucky67bsa

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used or heard of anyone using this fluid in their trans or transfer case?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Transmissions have specific clutch plates that are basically made of many tiny sheets of metal squeezed together. Using any transmission fluid besides what is recommended by the manufacturer can cause major damage to those clutch plates (such as forcing them apart) and ruin your transmission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OP didn't say what kind of transmission. :) If it's a manual trans, in SOME cases I'd say "maybe it would be OK" but both the manuals used in the majority of GMT400's have fairly specific lube requirements. The light duty 5 speed (NV3500 and its variants) want Syncromesh, and the heavy duty 5 speed NV4500 wants Castrol Syntorq LT (known as GM's "Synthetic Transmission Lubricant") or you're asking for trouble. Now if it's an SM465 4-speed you could probably dump a portapotty in there and it would live...

For any automatic transmission or a transfer case that takes ATF? No way in hell. For starters, it's too thick (much higher viscosity than ATF) and isn't going to be anywhere near the right product in any way whatsoever.

So to repeat what the others said, no, but with a little elaboration.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah in that case I'd say no way in hell again, NV4500 wants what it wants and nothing else. They cost a bundle to rebuild, too, so I dunno why anybody would experiment with fluids on that. The JD stuff isn't thick enough in this case and again is the wrong formulation.

Richard