Is this signs of a bad master cylinder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
My brake light came on and my brakes have sucked ever since. If i stomp on the brakes, my wheels dont even lock up, i just ease to a stop. the pedal goes all the way down to the floor and i barely have to press it..

its been getting on my nerves and I have already changed and bled my brakes. Is it the master cylinder?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Sounds likely if you're not leaking....could be a bad booster, but more likely the master bypassing.

Could be the abs module. Try pulling the codes for it....

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Sounds likely if you're not leaking....could be a bad booster, but more likely the master bypassing.

Could be the abs module. Try pulling the codes for it....

X2 my brake light came on in the 90 and it was a brake code

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a leak someplace. Has there been any fluid loss? A master cylinder will do that as well.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my light come on for like a month straight.....i couldnt figure it out for the life of me.....i replaced the module and all was well

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Bad brake booster causes no vacuum assist with brakes, which means very stiff brake pedal because its not holding vacuum.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
i replaced the master cylinder but its still spongy. any other suggestions?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this same issue up till yesterday. Brake light was on so I bled the brakes multiple times and replaced master cylinder. It worked a little better but the brakes finally ended up going back to being spongy again after a less than a month. I talked to a mechanic and he told me to change the master cylinder again, so I spent a little more cash on a bendix mc yesterday and all seems well now. Not saying your luck is as bad as mine but it may be something to consider.