Is there such an adapter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That plugs into the taillamp connectors and provides wires for custom lighting? Rather not chop off the connector if I can avoid it. Lemme know!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to make you connection at the tail light or can you make your connection a little further upstream?
Would something like this work for you?
You just unplug your tail light harness underneath the area of the drivers side tail light and add this between the OEM connections and then plug the OEM in to either side and your done. You have Tail brake and turn lights.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
These are easy to install, I have them on my Burb and my CCLB. The hardest part is drilling the hole for the ground wire terminal to go into, and not losing the screw while trying to install the ground wire! I also put some plastic wire loom on the one I put on the crew cab, to protect the wiring from damage. The way I installed it, I can tuck the trailer wiring up inside the truck wire loom just under the back edge of the bed. This keeps it out of the way until needed.
Besides Amazon, several stores sell these. If you have a Northern Tool store in your area, they carry them. That's where mine came from, I think I paid around $20. Rock Auto has them too, I think for about the same price as the Amazon listing.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have to make you connection at the tail light or can you make your connection a little further upstream?
Would something like this work for you?
You just unplug your tail light harness underneath the area of the drivers side tail light and add this between the OEM connections and then plug the OEM in to either side and your done. You have Tail brake and turn lights.
I have that already for my trailer. Wonder if I could do 2 of em?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never tried but dont know why you couldn't i think theres enough room under there to do it. Im sure theres someone out there that knows better then me.

dwcopple

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the two tail harnesses. Which wire does what?
Lime, brown, and black are consistent so I assume yellow and green are blinkers.

Attachments

• 20230618_093533.jpg
    20230618_093533.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230618_093539.jpg
    20230618_093539.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 13

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the two tail harnesses. Which wire does what?
Lime, brown, and black are consistent so I assume yellow and green are blinkers.
There's a disconnect at the end of the driver's side frame rail where the harness along the frame connects to the taillight harness segment. You can T in there with an aftermarket trailer harness and not chop any original wiring.

At that connection...

Light green = reverse
Brown = tail lights / tag lights
Dark green = right turn / brake
Yellow = left turn / brake

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is a different style than the Hopkins style that I use(where the piece that fits in the middle of the split connection in the rear harness is a molded vinyl part with the wiring/terminals inside the housing) but it does the same job. This style has one harness to plug into the female half of the factory junction, and another harness the plugs into the male side. Whichever type you use, I would put plastic wire loom on the harness to protect it from debris that gets tossed up from the road. I used the split type loom and secured it a few places with small wire ties.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got mine from Hopkins it had a chart on packaging. GM has had the same tail lighting for many years. It's in the owners manual, Chilton's and the service manual in the forum free download.
Or use a test light takes 2 minutes.