Is a leveling kit a waste?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyChevy09

Reaction score
I have been considering a body lift for the last few weeks because I want to run a 285/70/17 tire with an off set wheel without hitting my front fender while turning but every one I'm talking to says I won't like the body lift and I should go with the leveling kit. I would like to run these wheels and tires stock until I decide. Can I run this setup stock, and is a leveling kit the way to go? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
You can run it stock with a bit of crank. A leveling kit is definitely a waste, you can crank your stock torsion keys as much as any leveling keys.

HeavyChevy09

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. The reason I started considering the leveling kit is because from what the guys say at the shop, the after market keys give u the lift while maintaining a softer ride. From what I've been told cranking will beat my front end out, but I have no experience with leveling kits or cranking.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. The reason I started considering the leveling kit is because from what the guys say at the shop, the after market keys give u the lift while maintaining a softer ride. From what I've been told cranking will beat my front end out, but I have no experience with leveling kits or cranking.

Yea i almost got suckered on that one too. You can safely crank it around an inch to an inch and a half (depending on truck) without any real change in ride quality. If you added a body lift you could move up to 305s.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys won't be better for ride quality at all, not one bit. Stock keys and aftermarket keys both turn the torsion bar to change the geometry of the lower control arm. There is no other way around that fact. So either way you do it, the ride will be the same at a given height. And aftermarket keys have more adjustment in them because they have been re-indexed, but your stock keys can crank until your upper control arms are resting on the bump stops, and you can't go further than that. You will have adjustment left on the bolt for your new aftermarket keys, but you won't be lifting your truck any further no matter how much you tighten them.

Moderate cranking is ok, but cranking too far can destroy front end parts as ball joints and tie rod ends are taken out of their range of designed angles in the suspension. As you crank the keys the lower control arms start to move downward, changing the angles of the ball joints (lower and upper), and bringing the knuckle down with them, which pulls the upper control arm down. As those knuckles go down, so do the tie rod ends, driving everything out of its designed operating range.

Hope this helps.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys won't be better for ride quality at all, not one bit. Stock keys and aftermarket keys both turn the torsion bar to change the geometry of the lower control arm. There is no other way around that fact. So either way you do it, the ride will be the same at a given height. And aftermarket keys have more adjustment in them because they have been re-indexed, but your stock keys can crank until your upper control arms are resting on the bump stops, and you can't go further than that. You will have adjustment left on the bolt for your new aftermarket keys, but you won't be lifting your truck any further no matter how much you tighten them.

Moderate cranking is ok, but cranking too far can destroy front end parts as ball joints and tie rod ends are taken out of their range of designed angles in the suspension. As you crank the keys the lower control arms start to move downward, changing the angles of the ball joints (lower and upper), and bringing the knuckle down with them, which pulls the upper control arm down. As those knuckles go down, so do the tie rod ends, driving everything out of its designed operating range.

Hope this helps.

Well said chris as always

HeavyChevy09

Reaction score
That certainly answered my question, I really appreciate it. If i can put a little crank on and run these wheels and tires until I can go with a body lift that would be great.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran 305's with just a crank and valance trim and did just fine. Now I have a 2" BL with a minor crank. It rides great... I'm not touching the suspension again.