Intake manifold Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry. stupid talk txt... intake manifold. My heads are vortec. My new intake is an Edelbrock RPM air gap. I guess i should have said best brand to use.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My old intake (a cheap Chinese one) did not have the port in the front of the intake like this one so my heater core was plumbed into my intake. My block and my heads are vortec..

Im still currently running my TBI water pump which is doing well. I do not have over heating problems. My tuck runs at 185 to 190 on hot days. When I install this new iEdelbrock RPM Airgap should I add a fitting to the top my water pump and plumb the hose to the cross over?

The photo is the spot where I could add a fitting. I think its for a heater core to warm the back of a Suburban?

Would that help at all?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211225-235615_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211225-235615_Gallery.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old intake (a cheap Chinese one) did not have the port in the front of the intake like this one so my heater core was plumbed into my intake.
It can't be plumbed "only" into the intake manifold. The intake is the "supply" port. The outlet for the heater core has to go into the water pump inlet fitting, or into the radiator "cool" tank.

My block and my heads are vortec..

Im still currently running my TBI water pump which is doing well. I do not have over heating problems. My tuck runs at 185 to 190 on hot days.
The TBI and previous engines use a completely different style of coolant bypass compared to the Vortec 5.7L; and probably the Vortec 5.0.

If the coolant routing through the heater core is always active--no heater control valve in the cooler circuit--the bypass is less important. However, it would not be advisable to use a TBI water pump on a Vortec block unless:
1. The Vortec head on the right side has had a hole drilled in it to match the coolant bypass hole in the head gasket (drill both heads, so that if you pull the heads later, you don't have to remember which one is to go on the right side instead of the left side), and
2. The block is also drilled for the coolant bypass passage. A few Vortec blocks are already drilled, most are not. Drilling the block is difficult, because the complete block passage is two drillings that have to intersect, and the drilling from the head surface downward is at a crazy angle.

But since the TBI water pump on the Vortec long-block is working for you...leave it alone, I guess.

When I install this new iEdelbrock RPM Airgap should I add a fitting to the top my water pump and plumb the hose to the cross over?

The photo is the spot where I could add a fitting. I think its for a heater core to warm the back of a Suburban?

Would that help at all?
Some folks do route hot water through the intake manifold exhaust crossover passage to provide heat to vaporize the fuel coming in from a carb or TBI injection. It'd be pointless to do that when using port fuel injection.

Seems to me that it'd be fairly pointless to do that on an "Air Gap" manifold--but then an Air Gap manifold is a poor choice for a TBI vehicle unless it's only driven in warm weather.

If the exhaust crossover in the intake is connected to an EGR passage, you'd be in real trouble using that exhaust passage for hot water unless you disabled and sealed-up the EGR system.

The port on the water pump in your photo would be the return side of that plumbing, not the supply side.

Last edited:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It can't be plumbed "only" into the intake manifold. The intake is the "supply" port. The outlet for the heater core has to go into the water pump inlet fitting, or into the radiator "cool" tank.

Sorry If I wasnt clear. Yes, the outlet goes into the cool tank and the inlet goes in the manifold next to the Tstat.

Last edited:

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The TBI and previous engines use a completely different style of coolant bypass compared to the Vortec 5.7L; and probably the Vortec 5.0.

If the coolant routing through the heater core is always active--no heater control valve in the cooler circuit--the bypass is less important. However, it would not be advisable to use a TBI water pump on a Vortec block unless:
1. The Vortec head on the right side has had a hole drilled in it to match the coolant bypass hole in the head gasket (drill both heads, so that if you pull the heads later, you don't have to remember which one is to go on the right side instead of the left side), and
2. The block is also drilled for the coolant bypass passage. A few Vortec blocks are already drilled, most are not. Drilling the block is difficult, because the complete block passage is two drillings that have to intersect, and the drilling from the head surface downward is at a crazy angle.

But since the TBI water pump on the Vortec long-block is working for you...leave it alone, I guess
Thats what Im saying. Iv got too much skin in the game to not have things done right. Since this new intake manifold is a little different than my old, I just wanted to be correct. Im not a Mechanic I'm just a poor policeman trying to have a properly functioning motor.

Seems to me that it'd be fairly pointless to do that on an "Air Gap" manifold--but then an Air Gap manifold is a poor choice for a TBI vehicle unless it's only driven in warm weather.
The RPM Airgap is actually what Holley recommended for the Sniper, so im going off their suggestion.

If the exhaust crossover in the intake is connected to an EGR passage, you'd be in real trouble using that exhaust passage for hot water unless you disabled and sealed-up the EGR system.
Na there is no water going through the exhaust passage.

The port on the water pump in your photo would be the return side of that plumbing, not the supply side.
Oh ok. See thats why I asked. I knew someone like you that actually knew what they were doing would chime in. At first it seemeed like a simple fix to connnect a hose from there to the external cooling passage in the intake.

Last edited: