Installed Replacement Leather Yesterday from TheSeatShop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not a professional upholsterer. I did make a couple of minor mistakes like (1) cutting the first opening for the controls a half inch too long (2) not stretching the driver bottom perfectly and (3) not stretching in order. I learned and didn't repeat those errors on the passenger side. Luckily, those rookie moves weren't disastrous and as mentioned, it actually settled in and looks even better after a couple of days of my ass weight on it. Overall, I'm very happy though! It just was freaking expensive is all.

I only got the bottom seat foam which only has velcro identical to OEM - no wires. Not sure about how the top would be.

All the parts, including the seat foam were purchased from http://www.theseatshop.com/

They have a YouBoob channel that details the installs and provides valuable tips: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSeatShop

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
Yea, the learning curve is pretty steep. Next ones you do are gonna be perfect! Lol!
Couple of basic tips for you or anyone else that is gonna attempt this.
Start from the center & work out to the edges. The first rule of upholstery that I was ever taught.
Any holes to be cut are the last things you do. Get the cover on & fitting well before you cut anything.
SMALL holes to start. You can always make 'em larger. Pretty hard to make 'em smaller!

Mattmonay

Reaction score
My first post woohoo! I just bought my first truck, a 1996 Silverado extended cab... and the only downside to it is the seats are in the same condition as yours used to be! I'm going to look up the site you mentioned... How hard/time consuming were they to install?

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome!

Taking out the seats = Easy.
Removing the old covers without destroying the foam (if you're keeping old foam) = Moderate
Installing new seat covers = Easy
Installing new seat covers so that they look perfect = Moderate/Difficult (for a first timer)

The driver side, where I replaced lower, upper and arm rest took me about 1.5 hours
The passenger, where I replaced just the lower, took about 30 minutes.

Watch the vendor's videos first. They have lots of good tips like which tools to use, the order of operations, and when/how to cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMACGMC