inner and outer wheel/hub bearings on a 14bff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking at parts in anticipation of what I may need when I do my rear brakes. My truck lurches and at 245K miles maybe I need bearings. I'm just pricing things right now..... I have no real idea if I need them, or not.

So here are my questions....

How do I know if my bearings are bad?

Why can I find the outer bearing and race as a set, but the inner is separate only?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They probably are. Alot of different tapered bearings have a multitude of different bearing/race combos that will work for many different applications (different thicknesses for different size shafts/holes). Most of the tapered roller bearings i have ever bought have come separate from the races. You can check them initially with a pry bar like checking a ball joint, and see if there is any slack. They are adjustable tho, so a little slack is not necessarily a bad thing. When you have it apart, you will have to check them visually. Just check to see that the rollers and races are smooth and not scored/pitted. If they look all shiny and smooth, I would not suggest replacing them. It is the same bearing setup as a front wheel bearing in a 2wd pickup.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I often hear guys talk about always changing the races on the front of 2wd trucks when changing bearings becasue they're "matched". Having worked in a manufacturing environment, I know that pretty much can't be true, in a literal sense, but still a bearing coming from a certain manufacturer, at a certain point in time, would be more likely to "match" a race by that manufacturer....... at least in theory. Maybe it's more myth than fact.

98_k1500

Reaction score
They are "matched" after they have run together for a while. Same as putting the rods back in the same position in an engine. If they are all new, they don't matter. Don't run a new bearing on a used race tho.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Don't run a new bearing on a used race tho.

Well that goes back to why are they selling them separate. A race with another inside diameter with the same bearing would simply be another part number. I don't see why one bearing is sold as a set and the other is not.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Keeps the parts stores from having to stock 25 of the same bearing just because it has 25 different races that could go with it i reckon :shrug:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Keeps the parts stores from having to stock 25 of the same bearing just because it has 25 different races that could go with it i reckon :shrug:

I don't see how that saves much. 25 boxes with a bearing and race, or 25 boxes with just the different races is 25 boxes. Oh well, hopefully, I don't need bearings. Just a seal or two would be nice.