In search of 454SS seats. help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stowburb

Reaction score
this discussion has stuck with me;
I have always loved the 454SS trucks, and had thought I new a fair amount about them… but I am guessing some of that knowledge has faded with the mists of time;
I reached out to a buddy who has one, and what he told me might give the OP a sigh of relief;
He told me that the 1990 454SS trucks did indeed have unique seats, but thereafter they used the seats which had armrests - so a set from a Blazer (?ect) should be a good fit;
and not looking for specific seats now makes ones life easier.

I honestly thought you could order one of these with a bench (note I said order, I am mot implying they came that way);
so as a stop gap you could find nice correct year and colour door panels, and compliment them with a correct bench seat till you find the exact bucket seats you want.

IIRC the headrests on the bench seats came standard starting in 1992.

To me, bucket seats in a regular cab half ton, never made too much sense anyway. ;)

I hope this helped!
I actually picked up a set of bucket seats with the inside armrests out of a single cab truck from someone here who saw my OP. They have the correct upholstery for my 91. I’m very happy with them and how much better my interior looks. Now if I could find a single cab Console, I would be happy. I don’t even care if the correct color or not as my Brother owns a body shop and has the correct color Dye. We have actually re Dyed several pieces of the interior trim and it looks great.

Stowburb

Reaction score
I will build upon my last post;
I will not say that I know with clarity if 1990 style buckets were used in 1991, but default to my buddy's knowledge citing that the 1990 454SS seats were specific...
Maybe someone here has a 1991 full model brochure?

I recently bought both versions of the 1992 (USA market) truck brochures, as well as the sales book;
Although my literature is one model year newer than your truck, it should at least help suggest what might be correct for your truck.

My smaller brochure (24 pages including rear cover; light paper covers) only shows the 454SS interior on page 7;
My larger brochure (68 pages including rear cover; heavy paper covers) shows a LOT more about the 454SS - this brochure is the main reason why I am making this second post;
Page 24/25 has a nice two page spread showing the red interior in an extended cab silverado with the "optional reclining high back bucket seats" - those EXACT same (inside armrest only) seats are shown also on page 21 - pages 20 & 21 are a two page spread on the 454SS model, and page 21 has a nice (albeit smaller) picture of the 454SS interior - with those same single (inside only) armrest seats.

The larger brochure does clearly spell out paint availability, but does not spell out interior colour options;
I know that 'garnet' red is generally affiliated with the 454SS, but had thought I had seen the odd one which did not have a red interior.
My interpretation of this brochure is that any 'silverado' cloth interior could be ordered with the 454SS as long as it aligned with the colour chart;
If youre truck is in fair condition, the RPO sticker should be in the glove box - hopefully it's readable - if not, any GM dealership should be able to get you the full RPO list at your request (the RPO's will tell you the original colour and seat configuration for your interior).
Back to the bigger brochure - Paint colour options are clearly spelled out on page 37, and again on the colour chart on page 33;
Page 37 under the 454SS 'Interior Features' category, does NOT say that only red was available.

If I was never able to buy my grandfathers 1992 "Sport" truck, I would have been gunning for a 454SS...
Thank you sir! I found and purchased a set of bucket seats with the inside armrest in the correct upholstery style and color. I’m very happy with the way my interior is looking! Now to find a console and it will be complete! I’ll get some pictures and post them here soon.