In regards to replacing the cam position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tys 4x4

Reaction score
The truck I picked up (98 z71 EC w/ the 5.7) needs a new cam position sensor amongst other things. None of my vehicles have ever had a distributor, so I haven't really dealt with that before. From what I can see and what I've read the cps is in the distributor? Would it be easier to replace, or just buy a new distributor with it in it. The truck has 175k miles so a replacement probably wouldn't hurt. But that's a difference of spending like 10 bucks to spending 70-80. Thanks.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would suggest replacing the whole distributor with one of the aluminum replacement unit's, the original dist. in the vortec is plastic, and the ear's that hold the cap on like to split and break off, not to mention that the drive gear usually get's worn out too. Here is the one that I like to use http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850098/ I believe in doing it once and doing it right so you don't have to go back and do it again! You will also have to have a scan tool to properly reset the cam retard offset on a vortec also, as there are no timing mark's to go by.