Improved handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see you're running BFG's. Cooper Cobras have a softer compound,hence more grip,less lifespan.

According to the tread wear ratings on Tire Rack, the BFG Radial T/As are actually a little bit softer than the Cooper Cobras. Not by a whole lot, 400 vs 440.

BFGs:

Coopers:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never looked them up just used the thumbnail test. The Coopers felt softer to me and I know I can wear 'em out pretty quickly if I start throwing it into the turns. Don't think I've ever gotten 30,000 out of a set.
I've got an almost new set on ElCie which kind'a sucks because I've retired that ol rust bucket and they're too small for Smoky.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
The cooper's were cheaper, but I like the BFG tread pattern and the look of BF-Goodrich in raised white letters on the sidewalls. Most all reviews that I read state the BFG is the better performance tire...the tire itself is fantastic the only thing working against me is the tall sidewall which again just all boils down the to rims I wanted to run

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the tread wear ratings on Tire Rack, the BFG Radial T/As are actually a little bit softer than the Cooper Cobras. Not by a whole lot, 400 vs 440.
Treadwear ratings are nearly meaningless. There's not a standardized method for assigning that number. Manufacturers routinely change that number without changing compounds to meet racing rules - more down in the 200 treadwear range, but it still happens at the 400 treadwear range.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
Ive had the BFG radial T/A on for less then a month, but I really like them? Multiple reviews I read online stated the BFG was the better tire so for the extra $400 thats the route I went. If Im being entirely honest I didnt want to do the BFG or the Cooper I wanted the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. I however could not source them locally, and couldnt be bothered with ordering them online and then having to find a tire shop to mount and balance them. I will add to the saga I bought a full set of energy suspension poly swaybar bushings. I didn't replace the existing poly fronts when I did the bar though I should have and the energy suspension bushings are stiffer then the supplied hellwig ones so will see if it makes an improvement or is purely maintenance.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cooper's were cheaper, but I like the BFG tread pattern and the look of BF-Goodrich in raised white letters on the sidewalls. Most all reviews that I read state the BFG is the better performance tire...the tire itself is fantastic the only thing working against me is the tall sidewall which again just all boils down the to rims I wanted to run
Also if you decide to sell the wheels and tires I may be interested as mine will never be a corner carver. Send a private message if your interested

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going 5" rear like I did or 4"
I’m planning for 4”. Mines a 2500 so I’m swapping to 1500 leaf springs, drop hangers, and drop shackles. I am curious which amount of degree shim you used to correct things.

Up front I’m using 3” drop keys but it will be stiff as it’s a thick 2500 torsion bar .

Overall I don’t mind if it’s not quite as low as yours but close is my goal. Im
In the middle of building the hot side for the gt-45 turbo which will be fun being a 5 speed manual. Will run slicks in summer and studded winters all winter. Alberta life