I'm thinking about buying a performance scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mackbuster

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd appreciate options and reviews on scanner people bought like the jet performance hypertech etc.
thanks

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 97 vortec 5.7 L (350). I bought the jet programmer. My truck has Summit shorty headers, true duel exhaust, with old school glass packs, cold air filter, 170 degree thermostat, Billet distributor, I removed the vortec box from behind the throttle body supply tubing, and capped the hole off with a ***** can. I also pulled the throttle body and shaved off the defuser plate from the throttle body, on the under side. I chose the Jet programmer because, it is also a live action sensor reader. When I tuned the truck, I gained 4 mph in about 200 feet. I was doing 0 to 50 mph in 200 feet, now I do 0 to 54 in that same distance. I set the programmer on max performance. I still run regular gas with no issues, or loss in performance. I also set the top speed limiter on max 228 mph. I know the truck will never go that fast, but it is nice to know that it will never cut off again. My truck will just out run a 2013 5.3 L. I have a friend who has a real nice 2013 chevy and it kills him that he can't out run me. I do have to admit that I thought that the programmer would do more than it does, but I would buy it again. The only way to get more out of the truck the way it is would be a custom or dyno tune.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Its a viable option for a mild truck for sure, and mist provide scanning functions as well