I'm out of ideas, guys. (Truck runs like crap no matter what I do).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Have you checked your PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover?

Also, have you checked your Throttle Position Sensor?

After that, sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Have you changed your TB gasket? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner to see if it raises the idle?

Sorry, Joseph, just running through any possibilities. I didn't have a chance to read through the whole thread.

Also, have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Make us a video if how it runs. How is the injectors spraying? It should be a smooth cone shape.
I'm trying to think after all the research I did with my truck sorry I feel you man. O! And the tps is new but have u tried a different one Cause I know aftermarket sensors suck. Like I say try the one from your brothers burban Might as well lol so I won't keep buggin you bout it.

I don't think making a video would help very much. My phone literally has 4 microphones, but all you get is wind noise.

The injectors spray fine, nice even cone shape. And when I move the throttle blade, you can hear the WHOOSH of them putting more fuel out.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Have you checked your PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover?

Also, have you checked your Throttle Position Sensor?

After that, sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Have you changed your TB gasket? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner to see if it raises the idle?

Sorry, Joseph, just running through any possibilities. I didn't have a chance to read through the whole thread.

Also, have you tried replacing the fuel filter?

No prob, Brian, any help is appreciated.

My old TPS was right in the stock specs. My new one (for some reason) starts at .80v, but it works fine (used a multimeter).

Fuel filter is new.

Haven't checked the PCV valve, how do I do that?

And even if it was a vacuum leak, would the effects be as extreme as they are? Like the entire engine just shutting off upon light acceleration?

I'll try the carb cleaner idea tomorrow.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
The PCV pulls right out of the valve cover. There's a little valve inside that should move up and down pretty easily. They get pretty dirty with carbon and junk, so you can take some carb cleaner to it if it's bad. I don't know how you can tell if that's the source of the problem other than cleaning it and seeing if that valve inside moves freely.

I had a vacuum leak on mine. It was the TB gasket. It used to die at intersections all the time, and going to throttle, but never once it got going, so I don't know if that is the problem with yours. I've never had major issues with mine without it throwing a code, so that makes it tougher for you to track down. Does it idle smoothly? When I had the vacuum leak, it used to idle a little rough, and the whole truck used to vibrate a little bit.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The PCV pulls right out of the valve cover. There's a little valve inside that should move up and down pretty easily. They get pretty dirty with carbon and junk, so you can take some carb cleaner to it if it's bad. I don't know how you can tell if that's the source of the problem other than cleaning it and seeing if that valve inside moves freely.

I had a vacuum leak on mine. It was the TB gasket. It used to die at intersections all the time, and going to throttle, but never once it got going, so I don't know if that is the problem with yours. I've never had major issues with mine without it throwing a code, so that makes it tougher for you to track down. Does it idle smoothly? When I had the vacuum leak, it used to idle a little rough, and the whole truck used to vibrate a little bit.

At this point, I'm just working out the little kinks until I find the source of the problem so it's added to the list. First thing in the morning, I'll go pick up a can of brake cleaner and a can of carb cleaner, and try it out. Thanks for the suggestion man. As for your question, it idles like hell sometimes, then other times it's smooth as butter.

Earlier today when I picked up my CTS from O'Reillys, I hopped in, cranked it, it started and went up to like 1,500rpm, then dropped down TOO low (motor was already warm) and just shut right back off. And off of red lights, sometimes i have to give it ALOT of gas (think, like, half throttle) to keep it from shuddering so bad it dies.

EDIT: I should also mention that when I rebuilt the TB, i was too lazy to pull it off and replace the large gasket underneath. I have one laying around, might as well do that too to knock it off the list.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JD, at this point it might be time to let a good shop take a look at it instead of just throwing anymore money/parts at it....

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
im having the same exact problem with my 91 makes me want to switch it to a carb

I'm thinking the same! Might actually do it this summer for sh!ts and giggles. Haha.

JD, at this point it might be time to let a good shop take a look at it instead of just throwing anymore money/parts at it....

Might sound dumb, but I don't trust anyone other than myself with my truck. My uncle, the PO who owned it for literally my entire life, always took it to his best friend, who owns his own shop. My uncle is not mechanically inclined at all (FBI agent, haha) and could never tell when his buddy ******-rigged the work he did. I had no idea either until I started working on her myself. Every inch of truck, front to back, has something rigged up or bypassed. To the point that a full frame-off resto is in order in the next decade or so.

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i feel the same way no point to pay an outrageous price for something i can (eventually) get done myself