I'm an idiot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought a new steering wheel for my truck and went to install it yesterday. I couldn't find my steering wheel puller, so I thought I could slowly knock it out with a hammer.

In the process I broke off the hazard button. It looks like I will have to replace that whole section if I want to get it back. I will just live with it for now.

On the bright side, I have a new steering wheel

You must be registered for see images attach

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the 88-94 column is anything like the 95-98 one, you will have to replace the whole unit to fix the hazard switch. I replaced the whole thing in my 98 and it was one piece with the multifunction stalk.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
usually there's a screw in it, if that broke off you're done for. have to replace the whole thing. the signal lever is just pressed into it, can be pulled out easily. I'd personally rather pull the column out to work on it if you have to replace it because then you can get at all the wires. steering wheel looks great though!

Sent from my 350 powered iPhone

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I dig that steering wheel!
Too bad my truck has an air bag.
Of course, I could yank it all out.

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, screw broke inside.... lights still work, so I am going to see if I can find a small plastic screw driver or something to activate it. The down the road I will look for a replacement.

Hopefully it will be a minor inconvenience

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Steering wheels looks good, What brand? And that sucks about the hazard switch, hopefully it will be an easy fix

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Look up gm steering wheel repair on youtube and watch the videos by scottysdetailing and robert charpentier to take apart the steering column. I had to repair the wobble in my column and used these videos

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Very cool and a reasonable price too. Too bad there wasn't a GMC center in his inventory. But I do know a friend that needs one for his 88 Monte.