Ignition timing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7Brandon07

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 91 with a 305

anyways my oil pressure sensor was leaking oil my truck drove just fine to the auto parts store to get the new sensor n just fine to get back home

I proceeded to remove the distributor to get the oil pressure sensor out much easier I got it out new one in, when I removed the dis I marked the position of the rotor I’ve done this a handful of times never had a problem however this time there seems to be a problem I put everything back together how it was but now my truck won’t start it cranks but won’t start, I’m assuming the ign timing is out of whack ? Could that be the case? And how can I fix this please I’ve never had to do that before thanks

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a bad new oil sensor as it is a backup to the fuel relay to start your engine, which means the relay is also bad.
But yes double check all your ignition 1st.

7Brandon07

Reaction score
I though about that, I did set up a camera on the injectors it does spray fuel if I try to start it, however if I just turn the ignition on and move the throttle on the tbi it does not spray fuel I don’t know if that’s normal ? But if I actually turn it over it does

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
however if I just turn the ignition on and move the throttle on the tbi it does not spray fuel I don’t know if that’s normal ?
It shouldn't spray until your ECM gets the pulses from your ICM but, you should be able to hear the pump prime for ~2 seconds when you turn on the key.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pull the cap and make sure the connector to the timing module did not come off! Have seen this a time or two.
You may have cracked your rotor or the rotor button in the cap is bad.
Last, it is possible the coil wire broke, use a DVM and check the resistance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a timing light on it, have a helper crank it, see what the timing is.

With the one-wire timing connector disconnected, it ought to be zero.

The ECM is obviously getting signal from the pickup coil and ignition module, or there'd be no fuel spray.