Ignition probs.. help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A-Z Auto

Reaction score
I have a 92 x cab I swapped a full drivetrain & wiring from a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 vortec. The problem I’m having... it sounds like the timing Is 180* out sometimes... then other times it fires right up & will run great for days. I’m at a loss. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
What kind of fuel pump are you using and what is your fuel pressure, key on but not running?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 92 x cab I swapped a full drivetrain & wiring from a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 vortec. The problem I’m having... it sounds like the timing Is 180* out sometimes... then other times it fires right up & will run great for days. I’m at a loss. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
1. Vortec 5.7 has known issues with the "spider" injection system.
2. Put a scan tool on the thing and see what the data stream has to say.
3. What is the fuel pressure?
4. How old/what condition are the ignition components in?

A-Z Auto

Reaction score
New ..
Distributor
Plugs
Wires
Spider
Fuel pump
Crank sensor

Only code I’m getting is bank 1 #2 heated circuit
Truck runs strong when it’ll start... then you might turn it off & it’ll sound like the timing is out 180*. This is my first experience with the vortec & it’s got me confused. Does it at cold start & warm.

A-Z Auto

Reaction score
What kind of fuel pump are you using and what is your fuel pressure, key on but not running?
I’d have to hook a gauge back up to it.. but I haven’t seen any fuel problems. Like I said... it runs really strong when it’ll start, but sometimes it sounds like the distributor has been turned 180* out of time.

A-Z Auto

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Looks like the distributor cap was the problem