ignition modules and pickup coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so i troubleshot my no start problem down to either an ignition module, or a pickup coil. I will be diving into my distributor with a volt/ohm meter to test the pickup coil sometime this week. I have a mechanic friend who told me the pickup coils rarely go bad , and if i got this far trouble shooting it, then its probably a module.

So heres the question. Growing up back in the day, i used standard automotive ignition parts on everything. They always seemed to be good. Are they any good anymore, or are they made in Chinna like everything else?

I was on rockauto and saw a module made by standard as well as delphi, and AC delco. I know delphi was the delco division spun off by GM a number of years ago. Are all 3 pretty reliable? Trying to get her running fairly inexpensively.

Also with a 94 TBI engine, can i swap the module out without having to remove the distributor?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I always use Delphi parts and replacing the ICM is a lot like replacing a set of points.No need to remove the distributor,just the cap & rotor.Be sure to use some heat sync gel under the ICM.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If high mileage, I would drop in a complete replacement distributor rather than nickel and diming it. Over time, the magnet for the pole piece can crack, and the drive gear can accumulate wear.

The least expensive replacement on Rock Auto is not that much more than buying a pickup coil and a module, and fighting with the old one. To change the pick up coil, you have to remove the distributor and the gear anyways.

Drop in convenience with a new cap and rotor to boot, brass contacts are better than aluminum.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal on a complete dist setup, however my truck is around 150k on the ODO. Oil changed every 3k. All the mileage i have put on it since new. From what i have seen thats nothing as i see these trucks in the junkyard with 300k plus miles on em. So if 150K is young i will prob just ohm out the the pickup coil to rule it out, and if its good, then change out the module.

I have a tube of white heat sink grease, as i have used it on a 4 pin HEI module i mounted on a custom machined aluminum bracket attached to a mid 70s chrysler electronic vac advance distributor i am using in my 67 cuda.

I was leaning towards a delphi module.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That hotrod article was great, the reluctor and pickup on the replacenent distributor looks much better than stock.

At least i know now what to look for with cracked magnets and such. If by chance mine is good shaft not loose, no cracks in the magnet, i may just do a module, and get her running again.

Still a bit leary about vatozone stuff though. I may have to stop there and look at one of em though.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did find a complete new replacement distributor on evilbay for my 94. Has a red cap, and is setup as stock replacenent. Reg price was like $72 ,

On sale for 40% off. Id like to grab it, but am a bit leary about it. Anybody get the evilbay aftermarket distributors?

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, pickup coil ohms good, one small crack in magnet thats riveted in for the reluctor.

This may be why for a few years at idle it would randomly idle rough like a hiccup one cylinder randomly misfiring is how i would describe it. I think the ole girl was trying to tell me there was a problem for awhile.

I know i should drop a distributor in because of the crack in the magnet, will probably go with the A1cardone reman. Looks like they modified the reluctor to eliminate the cracked magnet.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I stand by my earlier suggestion to swap the whole distributor.... :cool: