ignition modules and pickup coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking like rain in forecast for today. Not gonna mess with the distributor today, truck dont run, and its parked in front of my house. Garage and shop are out back. Will have to install it, and time it in front of my house :-(

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got to get this truck outta the weather. Bad storms coming tonight No time right now to swap my new dist in. My old dist ran with a miss from the cracked magnet until the module burned up.

Can i temp swap the new module into my old dist just to start it and get it out of the weather, or can the cracked magnet and funky signals it throws out cause damage my new module?

Storms coming late in evening tonight. I got a bit of time, but not much.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I would just drop the new distributor in. It would take just as much time. Then limp it to your garage and time it.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to make a distributor wrench for it before i mess with it. I got an old 1/2" wrench. Is that the size? 13mm - 1/2"

If i make a dist wrench it will work for my mopar small blocks as well.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i put in my new cardone select distributor today. Truck runs great. Pulls clean and strong all the way to 5,000 rpm. Its really a shame about the magnet in the old one being cracked. The shaft on my OEM one has no slop in it, dist drive gear has very little if any wear on it.

I wonder, does anybody know where, or if i can get a new magnet for the reluctor so i can repair this one and keep it for a spare??

I used a 9/16" crowsfoot socket and an extension to get to the hold down clamp bolt. Not too bad. I may still make a distributor wrench though.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It's hardly worth keeping, unless you want to modify the housing, cut down the drive gear, re-install gear and use it as a priming tool.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
You could, but you would first have to pull the distributor, beat the roll pin out, remove the drive gear, pull the cap, and then the shaft out of the housing, and all that to find that your junkyard one is FUBAR'D as well.

GM used to sell the entire shaft, not sure if they still do, or at what cost.