Ignition lock cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
My ignition key switch is coming apart, along with my key being wore out, it's getting tough to start my truck. I'd like to get a new OEM one, and wondering if anybody has ordered one from GM parts direct. It doesn't say if it comes with keys or not, and I'd like to get it all in one shot.

Or if there's a reliable aftermarket version you guys would recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ignition key switch is coming apart, along with my key being wore out, it's getting tough to start my truck. I'd like to get a new OEM one, and wondering if anybody has ordered one from GM parts direct. It doesn't say if it comes with keys or not, and I'd like to get it all in one shot.

Or if there's a reliable aftermarket version you guys would recommend, I'd appreciate it.
You forgot to mention the Year, Make, Model and Transmission being an Automatic or Manual of your vehicle, Tilt Wheel? But I'll assume 1996 Dually, judging by your previous posts.
So here are some choices for you, it can either be any of the aforementioned aftermarket websites such as RockAuto,Parts Geek, LMS, Classic Chevys, A1Auto, etc... again, your choice. Good luck in your endeavor.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you've got the correct part number you might be able to do a Google image search on it and see if there's an eBay listing or something that has a picture of everything included.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
If you've got the correct part number you might be able to do a Google image search on it and see if there's an eBay listing or something that has a picture of everything included.
Did that after looking on GMPD, and looks like the OE one does not come with keys, no matter who you get it from. Not sure I want try to find somebody to make keys for me. May end up getting a China version anyway.

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Attachments

• A35CE5A3-ACE6-4A59-8629-2CD2F1DDBC91.png
    A35CE5A3-ACE6-4A59-8629-2CD2F1DDBC91.png
    565.8 KB · Views: 1

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did that after looking on GMPD, and looks like the OE one does not come with keys, no matter who you get it from. Not sure I want try to find somebody to make keys for me. May end up getting a China version anyway.

Is the idea that the new OEM ignition cylinder can be keyed to use your existing keys? If so I would investigate having a GM dealer cut you some new keys from the VIN (pretty sure I've seen others mention this here over the years, IIRC you just need to provide proof of ownership) and getting a new OEM cylinder matched to them.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I have used the Standard Motor Products ones in several vehicles with no issues before.

Avoid any SMP part number ending in "T". Their catalog states that those are the economy series foreign sourced parts.

I steer customers around those whenever possible.