Ignition issue..... Maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 4x4. Here recently it has started doing the really strange thing where I can go to start the truck and it will not even power the starter. But the fuel pump and everything else works like it is suppose to. So I'll turn the key off and repeat this process about 2-3 times and then it will kick the starter over. Does anyone have any idea what this possibly could be.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Does the starter just click? When I bought my truck it did that, everything worked like it's supposed to except sometimes it would start and sometimes the starter would just click. On mine the problem was a corroded wire from the battery to the starter and eventually the starter went out and both wire and starter where replaced = no more issues. So maybe you got a bad battery wire?

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't even hear a click. I'll pay a little more attention today if it does it before I go to work.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
sounds like the brushes in your starter are worn out, its a common problem. if your stranded, just tap on the starter solenoid with a hammer or wrench and it usually comes back.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no click in the starter. Starter has no response at all. Just Everything inside just works like its suppose to.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
The click is pretty loud so it's hard to miss, you can sit in the truck with closed doors and still hear it. Maybe your starter is going bad.

Also, I've noticed sometimes when I put it in Park the little orange light doesn't show, if you try to start it then the truck is basically dead (no click from the starter). The safety thing on the gearbox thinks your trying to start it in gear. I can't remeber if the fuelpump kicked in tho. So you could check that too, so it's really in Park or Neutral.

19-Silverado-98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no click. And after I posted it. I haven't really had much issue with it. Drove it the other day and it started up just fine.

Has anyone had there's start slowly. Like instead up going to a high rpm it never goes over 500 on start.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what mine was doing a while back...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Turning the key just powered on the accessories but wouldn't engage the starter. There was no starter click. It was an intermittent but aggravating issue. A new Delco starter fixed it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just make sure you have good connections at the battery and down at the Starter first, i've had both issues before.