Ignition Control Module relocation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Has anyone relocated the ICM? I have a 454, so it's on the back of the intake manifold, and changing it is a major pain... by FEEL! I can't really see anything. I'm assuming it needs to be grounded, but is there any reason it needs to be close to the coil and/or distributor?

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't, but I don't see why you couldn't put it on the firewall right above where it's at now. Been a minute since I looked at mine, but IIRC it has a heatsink on the bracket, might try adding one on top of the icm too.

Edit: last time I had to get in back there I'm pretty sure I took the AC compressor off & that allowed the hose to be moved out of the way. Made it much easier to get in there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't you remove the entire coil bracket which includes the heat sink and ignition module? The module is then easily replaced on the bench.

That's my plan for my '97, anyway. I don't need a new module, but I need access to the distributor. Figured I'd just pop the coil-and-module assembly for access.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I haven't, but I don't see why you couldn't put it on the firewall right above where it's at now. Been a minute since I looked at mine, but IIRC it has a heatsink on the bracket, might try adding one on top of the icm too.

There's no place for heat transfer on the top of the ICM, only the bottom is aluminum.

Edit: last time I had to get in back there I'm pretty sure I took the AC compressor off & that allowed the hose to be moved out of the way. Made it much easier to get in there.

The big AC hose goes buy there, but the huge wiring harness is more in the way. Years ago, I tried moving that harness... unplugged lots of stuff, and could still barely move it.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might've been the harness I moved then. I've had the intake off a couple times so it's possible I didn't get all the plastic clips back on it & made it easier to move.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
454, I'm with you. I don't see a problem with moving it out to a more accessible location, other than there isn't very much open real-estate under that hood for relocation. Would there be any real significant voltage/amperage loss by lengthening the coil wire by a foot or two?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
454, I'm with you. I don't see a problem with moving it out to a more accessible location, other than there isn't very much open real-estate under that hood for relocation. Would there be any real significant voltage/amperage loss by lengthening the coil wire by a foot or two?

I wasn't thinking of moving the coil, just the ICM, but that's another idea to consider, I suppose. Maybe move the whole bracket with both mounted to it.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking the whole bracket, but I like your idea of just the ICM I don't think it would be very hard to relocate just that. Years ago the Ford ICM was mounted to the distributor. I found one application where someone had moved it to the inner fender. So much easier to change. That would be a lot easier than making a new coil wire.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was thinking the whole bracket, but I like your idea of just the ICM I don't think it would be very hard to relocate just that. Years ago the Ford ICM was mounted to the distributor. I found one application where someone had moved it to the inner fender. So much easier to change. That would be a lot easier than making a new coil wire.

I think both could work. I hadn't thought about moving the whole bracket until you mentioned it. I have a spare set of valve covers, and there may be room to mount the bracket on the driver's side cover. I can't do the fab, myself, but I doubt it would be hard to get a couple bosses welded on, drilled and taped to mount it there. There's a little independent machine shop locally that I bet would do it.

The other thing, would be to swap to the small block bracket which may be easier to mount someplace. I should see if I can get one from the salvage yard and start looking for a place to mount it.

I likely won't do anything until I do the intake gaskets, which I hope will be this summer.