Identify what I don't need, smog delete.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of you are against it, but I hate the damn thing. I don't know what is extra, and what shouldn't be there if I had a non-cali vehicle. What in this picture is smog related?

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm having it tuned out and shortly headers installed, and would like to avoid having the shop adjust for it.

Thanks

fishy

Reaction score
the rectangle box between your rad hose and abs is your evap canister and vent valve i removed mine when i did the 5.7 swap from 4.3. i pluged the evap line off for now so when i open my gas cap there is some pressure there. i think the thing next to the pcm is the air pump but im not 100% sure. i know it was an option on these trucks but have never actually seen a truck with it so im not sure what removing it would require. i have been running my truck for about a month now with the evap canister removed and there are no codes set for it in the pcm.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the rectangle box between your rad hose and abs is your evap canister and vent valve i removed mine when i did the 5.7 swap from 4.3. i pluged the evap line off for now so when i open my gas cap there is some pressure there. i think the thing next to the pcm is the air pump but im not 100% sure. i know it was an option on these trucks but have never actually seen a truck with it so im not sure what removing it would require. i have been running my truck for about a month now with the evap canister removed and there are no codes set for it in the pcm.

That's interesting, when the electrical connector on my evap canister wiggled loose effectively sticking it closed my truck threw a code at me almost immediately. Strange how these trucks behave differently on a case by case basis.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The circular deal in the corner with the two black hoses running to it is an air pump. Unplug it, then cap off the hole into the manifold should be all you need to do, your tuner should be able to do the rest.

The rectangular box usually indicates it is a 1998 (everything older had round evap cans.) The rectangular box isn't California specific, it is on every truck to meet the emssion standards of 98.