I Want To Add A Rear Sway Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after hearing from a buddy of mine about the benefits he got from doing it i want to take the leap and install a rear sway bar, who sells a good one? And is this something i can do or will i need to weld in brackets (which i dont have a welder so i cant do) im a little new to the subject so forgive my ignorance, i already have a 4/6 drop, will it still be compatible, will it even be necessary with the drop? Any info is greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

NORCAL SS

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I put one on my dads and sell many of the belltechs. Great set up

You must be registered for see images attach

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Belltech rear swaybar, it is a full bolt on kit and it came with two sets of links for stock or dropped setups. It dramatically made a difference in ride handling and quality. Absolutely wouldn't run without it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You could also use a swaybar off of a 2wd Suburban or Tahoe.

That's what I did to mine. $50.00 wrecker find off of a Suburban, including the hardware. Had to drill 2 holes on each frame rail, & one in the mounting brackets to sit over top of the big rivet in the frame that's in the way.
The rear ends that have sway bars, are specific. It mounts to the rear housing with integral mounts. I used 3" heavy duty, extra long muffler clamps. Similar to the pic that Norcal posted.
The factory bars are not that large, but they do make a difference.
I also have an aftermarket rear bar, which is larger than the stock one. (another wrecker find) I've switched the bars back & forth between the trucks, & I've found that the aftermarket one works better on the 2/4 dropped truck than the factory one, probably due to the taller center of gravity. The aftermarket bar on the 4/7 dropped truck made the truck a bit 'tail-happy' in some situations, such as when HARD braking in corners or over stutter bumps & railroad track crossings.
One thing about the aftermarket bars, such as what Norcal has, is that you can buy front & rear bars in matching sets. This would probably be the solution to the 'tail-happy' prob that I had with the aftermarket bar being used in conjunction with a stock front sway bar.
I replaced the rubber bushings for the bars on both trucks, front & rear, with urethane.
Suburbans with a rear sway bar have a smaller front bar, than if the truck came with a front bar only.
These things have made a HUGE difference in the handling of both trucks. Don't know why the factory didn't just make them standard across the board.

LordFinesse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good im going to check out the belltech setups and depending on price il get one of those or possibly hit my local pick-a-part

NORCAL SS

Preferred Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
i have 18 kits here in stock belltech

rear bar kit 190 shiped

front/rear belltech bar 350 shipped

If you look at the write up on my dads truck I did both on his truck feels great.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nabbed my rear sway bar off a Suburban. Get the frame brackets. Extend the stock links with some tubing. Use exhaust clamps to clamp the bushings to the axle. It's cheap and effective.