I made an album of replacing the heads on my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not positive if that's the one that fits ours but I saw a thread where they added one of these. They said it worked pretty well!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and stay away from K&N filters. They don't flow all that much better than the nicer foam elements like Amsoil and they don't actually filter well at all. This is coming from someone who owns and ran a K&N for about 20K miles. Filled my intake up with oil and gunk, contaminated my MAF sensor more than once. I realize you're TBI, but still, keep that crap out of your engine. If you really want one of those filter toppers for some reason Amsoil makes them in a non-oiled foam variety. You can still clean and re-use them, just blow them out with shop air.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the K&N. Maybe a paper element would be best. This really is a farm truck operating in dusty offroad conditions.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and stay away from K&N filters. They don't flow all that much better than the nicer foam elements like Amsoil and they don't actually filter well at all. This is coming from someone who owns and ran a K&N for about 20K miles. Filled my intake up with oil and gunk, contaminated my MAF sensor more than once. I realize you're TBI, but still, keep that crap out of your engine. If you really want one of those filter toppers for some reason Amsoil makes them in a non-oiled foam variety. You can still clean and re-use them, just blow them out with shop air.

Agreed. If you run a k&n for about 5-10kmi and shine a light behind the "filter" you'll see that it starts to look like swiss cheese. If you need maximum airflow for racing and are rebuilding your motor time and time again anyways, then a K&N is fine for that... but not for increasing the life of the engine by any means.

Here's a test per ISO standards of different filters.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the exhaust pic/setup. A dream is get a true dual setup on my Burb coming out both sides in the back. I wondered how I'd make that work under there - I don't want to lift mine up. Looks cool.

Jahblah90

Reaction score
I freaking LOVE your build thread! I've always wanted a 454. Did the previous owner swap it in? I need one in my life lol 350's are very versitile but there is NO replacement for displacement.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the exhaust pic/setup. A dream is get a true dual setup on my Burb coming out both sides in the back. I wondered how I'd make that work under there - I don't want to lift mine up. Looks cool.

With this cam and heads, I am positive that 2.5 inch pipes will flow more than enough. I would always recommend stepping up half an inch on the muffler inlet/outlet from your system pipe size. It costs the same, is not hard for the muffler man to flare the pipes, and the mufflers will always be the bottleneck in the system. The X-pipe is pretty cheap, not hard to install, and eliminates that rapping sound that trucks can have. I don't like that. Another benefit of the X-pipe should be increased scavenging effect at the exhaust valves. It should be a small performance advantage on any vehicle (probably not much but it all adds up).

I would have no problem using a 2 into 1 mandrel bent 3 inch system into a 3.5 muffler inlet and I would have done that, but nobody bends 3 inch pipe in my area.

Short video about X-pipes

I don't think this is true what he is saying about x-pipe hurting low end power. You can easily find other engine experts who say there are only positive benefits to an X-pipe or H-pipe. I don't care what he says, I will converge the cylinder banks every time when I design an exhaust system with either 2 into 1, or an X-pipe. I mostly do it because I think it sounds better.