I know nothing, so how does this look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
You can get air line in a variety of colors also, being that it's DOT air lines used.. these are lines used in the air braking systems on tractor trailers, busses and so on.. They use colors for visual knowledge of what that specific color is used for. So that leaves us with some color options :) Most air bag sites only sell black, but you can find colors by searching it by color.. EBay seems to be the easiest way finding colored line.. Black, Red, Green, Orange are easy to find.. but Blue and yellow also exist and can be found thru anyone dealing in Air Brake supplies.. I got green on mine...lol

There's a ton of stuff I could tell you about air bags but I don't wanna have you in a single set of mind on it, it's always better to see what different people do and opinions so you can have your own decisions on what you want done.. plus getting a wider grasp on it usually is what brings newer ideas and concepts into this.
Good luck bro!

bygddy

Reaction score
If it's welded good, then it's good. It's just normally when a ball join is done like it has a spacer, it's usually poorly done.. I'd check under and see if it's plated across all the welded wedges.. Tho it'll probably never have any issues, it's better safe than sorry. You definitely don't want that piece of the arm snapping off and causing a horrible accident. Just by observing the pic it looks as if he did it to get the same effect drop spindles would have done.

Thanks again Bill, yeah before doing anything I will get it in the air and take a real good look at them and see whati have. I have seen a few things he has welded and very good a what he does, so assuming they are plated and supported I will likely run them. Will notch the frame for tie rod clearance, get some shorter shocks (any recommendations for the beer budget kinda guy?) And align the thing and rock it for the summer in static form until I can wrap my head around a bag setup...

bygddy

Reaction score
You can get air line in a variety of colors also, being that it's DOT air lines used.. these are lines used in the air braking systems on tractor trailers, busses and so on.. They use colors for visual knowledge of what that specific color is used for. So that leaves us with some color options :) Most air bag sites only sell black, but you can find colors by searching it by color.. EBay seems to be the easiest way finding colored line.. Black, Red, Green, Orange are easy to find.. but Blue and yellow also exist and can be found thru anyone dealing in Air Brake supplies.. I got green on mine...lol

There's a ton of stuff I could tell you about air bags but I don't wanna have you in a single set of mind on it, it's always better to see what different people do and opinions so you can have your own decisions on what you want done.. plus getting a wider grasp on it usually is what brings newer ideas and concepts into this.
Good luck bro!

Is there a build thread floating around on yours? Thanks
Dave

Reaction score
89 Cheyenne aka Sour Girl -- this is DeWayne's
my 98 stepside project --- is mine
Mine is really long, there's a good bit of others on here..
I named DeWaynes cause he has the York and all, good pics too..
I know the threads by owners names thru Facebook so I'm having a brain fart trien to name their build threads..lol.
Just click on "Lowered and Bagged Suspension" and it'll take you to everyone who has bagged suspension..

Reaction score
Or just check out the "Sticky" thread towards the top in this section called "How to bag that truck of yours"
I almost forgot about it...

bygddy

Reaction score
Excellent, been Googling all night, we check out the threads through the rest of the weekend! I have some time fortunately, I need to get the truck together and painted and it looks like I'm picking up the turbo SBC Monte I sold last summer, minus the turbo motor so will be screwing together a 406 for it out of spare junk I have laying around. If I can get the truck driving nice for now, and once I finish and sell the Monte I will use the cash to finish the air and pick up a set of astro supreme's for it !
Thanks again Bill...

Dave

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
My main concern is if the lower ball joint was raised but nothing else has been modified. The geometry of the suspension will not be right even if he is a good welder. This will cause problems when getting an alignment done. The adjusters on the upper control arms can only adjust so far without some kind of modification. There might not be enough room to slide to get a correct camber adjustment.

Reaction score
Thanks Sierra! Was hoping someone else would chime in, from what I can see via cell phone it kinda looks minitruckerish.. I know old Chopping Block arms were odd shaped for the effect whoever done these was trien to do, but from anything I can recall anyone who ran those arms also did a lot of modifications to make them work. And used custom upper arms. In thought I'd say the upper arms are being forced into a premature camber. Myself I'd get drop spindles and factory arms.. but that's me. But yeah I'd have to totally agree, even if it's been done structurally sound.. geometry has gotta be off

bygddy

Reaction score
My main concern is if the lower ball joint was raised but nothing else has been modified. The geometry of the suspension will not be right even if he is a good welder. This will cause problems when getting an alignment done. The adjusters on the upper control arms can only adjust so far without some kind of modification. There might not be enough room to slide to get a correct camber adjustment.

That's the first thing were going to try, is see how much adjustment there is at the uppers. I'm not sure how a DJM or whatever their called, how their 4" lower arm would be different? I know they look nothing alike but are they not still doing the same thing? If they are giving you 4" lower ride height then the upper arms would still be in the same situation as mine no? The option is there to buy upper arms as well to correct it, that being said I don't expect to get perfect camber when all is said and done, having a 6-7" static drop will always have its drawbacks. As long as its safe, and I can get "acceptable" camber then I will rotate tires often, and its not my DD either. Once the snow goes away I will bring it to my shop and get it on a hoist and have one of my techs screw around with it and see how much adjustment there is, and how solid everything looks. Worst case scenario, I have to buy new lowers and a set of uppers, with 4" lowers, new uppers and a 3" drop (cut) spring I'm still looking at the same overall drop as I'm at now.
Its funny that Bill mentioned the mini truck deal, that's exactly where the rear air ride came out of, the PO had an S10 on air and cut it up,then modded all the rear for this truck lol. Good eye.