I got that rainy day feeling again, and again, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here in a while, but I've been a member for a while. Anyways to my problem, I have a 98 C1500 with the 305, and every time it rains, it will not run, I find every time that the distributor cap is the culprit. Is there supposed to be a oring or a gasket where the cap meets the distributor? If so mine is long gone and I can't find any info on this on the internet or the parts stores of course.... Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what brand cap are you using?I had an issue with the autozone brand doing that same thing. went and got a standard brand havent had any issue since

frito-bandito

Reaction score

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't just toss that cheap cap until I tried to unclog the vents. That may fix the issue without having to wait until pay day tomorrow.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Very true, I'm gonna go out there and knock the vents out in a minute and see how bad they were, if I can remember how, I'll post pics of the vents, I do know that my mounting tabs for the cap are broke on one side, but they actually have a repair kit for this, but the moisture issue happened long before I broke the tab, I actually broke it the last time I changed/dried out the cap.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Ok, I knocked the vent screens out, and then it rained all night, and while the truck started this morning, it runs like total crap. That being said, I am on the way to get a new distributor from Carquest, and if that doesn't resolve the issue, all that'll leave is the coil, it already has new plugs and wires, and the cap /rotor is included with the distributor, so fingers crossed, I will post the end result.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Ok, I knocked the vent screens out, and then it rained all night, and while the truck started this morning, it runs like total crap. That being said, I am on the way to get a new distributor from Carquest, and if that doesn't resolve the issue, all that'll leave is the coil, it already has new plugs and wires, and the cap /rotor is included with the distributor, so fingers crossed, I will post the end result.

I'd try the coil first (cheaper) they have no protection on these trucks

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Well after changing a surprise flat tire, I finally pulled it around back and changed the distributor and adjusted my spark plug gap from .065 down to .040, before I started working on it, it was sputtering and popping, now she runs great, so we'll see what happens next time it rains.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
And this is exactly why I will be performing a 411 swap with the 24x setup. No more dizzy for me!