I got a 92Chevrolet pickup i put new fuel tank sending unit and all at once it want crank up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nelson

Reaction score
gonna need a bit more detail about that.
What did you do?
Does it not turn over or does it spin and not start?
Thats a sweet looking truck.
Put out some information and tell everybody the story about it.
Thats how you get help.
It turns over but want crank up i put a new tank on it I'm thinking I didn't get the fuel pump sending unit put in right and I got warter in my fuel tank it all new and my fuel gage shows I'm full

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a problem. I'd start with dropping the tank, cleaning it out, and installing the sending unit correctly. I'd throw half a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in with about 5 gallons of gas to try and get the water cleaned out.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shouldnt read full with ten gallons in it so make sure all of the wiring and grounds are good.
The fuel gauges on these can be pretty wonky so that may be a seperate issue.
When you turn the key on can you hear the pump run for a couple of seconds and then shut off?
Stick your head under the front of the tank and listen while someone turns the key.
There is also a test pin for the fuel pump that bypasses the relay when you put 12 volts to it and makes the pump turn on.
I forget which one it is but hopefully someone will pipe in with that info before I can find my wiring diagrams.
Water in the tank is bad. Especially if that water sits in it for awhile.
If it sat empty with water in it for any length of time before you put the gas in,
You could have a rust spot that will plug the sock on the end of the fuel pump intake over and over again and make you insane.
If you suspect water, pull the tank and clean it out.
And the pump sock.
And get another fuel filter or two.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It turns over but want crank up i put a new tank on it I'm thinking I didn't get the fuel pump sending unit put in right and I got warter in my fuel tank it all new and my fuel gage shows I'm full
Turning over and cranking mean the same thing. Using the starter to move the internals, pre ignition...

So, it won't run, but will turn over.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel gauge showing full sounds like a bad ground on the sending unit. Also would kill fuel pump operation.

Have you tried firing it on starting fluid? If it runs, its fuel related. If not, its ignition

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also a test pin for the fuel pump that bypasses the relay when you put 12 volts to it and makes the pump turn on.
I forget which one it is but hopefully someone will pipe in with that info before I can find my wiring diagrams.
It's pin G
You must be registered for see images attach

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's pin G
You must be registered for see images attach
I just figured out that the reason I cant find any of my Chevy manuals is because I rarely need to look at them.
They are on the shelf.
Meanwhile Im digging through piles of Nissan and Volkswagen that are all over the place.
Hmmm...
Might be a pattern here