I’m not a gear head I bought it already built

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock gears + 35's + an automatic = you getting real friendly with a transmission shop. These guys are giving you solid advice on 4.56 gears. You might want to consider a 14 bolt rear end for strength and bigger brakes.

I ran 3.42 with 33s for a long time trust me I've been down this road before. I had to have mine rebuilt twice, luckily the 2nd time was still under warranty. It was constantly switching between 3 and 4 and the 3-4 clutch is what went out so I'm 100% sure it was due to the tall gearing.

I have 4.88 and 37s now (equivalent to 4.56 and 35) and it drives way nicer, and saves a lot of strain on the transmission.

My 14b and bigger brakes swap made a big difference too.

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran 3.42 with 33s for a long time trust me I've been down this road before. I had to have mine rebuilt twice, luckily the 2nd time was still under warranty. It was constantly switching between 3 and 4 and the 3-4 clutch is what went out so I'm 100% sure it was due to the tall gearing.

I have 4.88 and 37s now (equivalent to 4.56 and 35) and it drives way nicer, and saves a lot of strain on the transmission.

My 14b and bigger brakes swap made a big difference too.
Same here, I bought my truck with 33's and 3:42 diffs and it was just over 1500 RPMs at 60 mph. Constantly disengaging/reengaging the TCC so I took to driving in 3rd until I could get it re-geared to 4:11 Now it sits about 1900 RPMs at 60 mph and the TCC is much happier. Made it a lot nicer to drive as well having those extra RPMs producing a little more power at cruising speed.