HVAC Control Head in dash--multiple issues (Mostly fixed)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Temp door? Might want to confirm it's not controlling the recirculation door actuator ("air inlet valve").
This is what I have so far. Like I said, I'm using a 90 drawing because it's more similar than my 93 manual but I'll make all the changes when I get to it..
Like erasing the single wire pressure switch and circuit...the door motors may be swapped + and - in mine...Haven't gone that far... Just messed with it the other night for a bit....

maybe I have my names wrong ...will definitely check again...recirc door = air inlet..of course...be too easy to keep it consistent through the manual..

just learned how to scale up a screen shot that doesn't pixelate when expanded so I can take it into paint to edit later... But acrobat lets you draw these colored lines at least for now...

Attachments

• 90 ac controller for 93 yukon EDIT1a.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in studying the "official" service manual set...but stuff like that makes it harder to trust what they're saying/showing.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having blown fifty bucks on control heads that aren't helping me any, I decide to investigate the vehicle wiring. NOW I'm on the right track. I trace Circuit 2 which starts at the electrical power center under the plastic cover by the right hood hinge/firewall area. Circuit 2 has a fusible link at the power stud. Fusible link is good. There's power all the way through that wire to Position 12, but it's not “good” power, it's marginal power. If there's a load on the circuit, the voltage plummets like a paralyzed falcon.

There's a 3-wire connector (C323) behind the glovebox. [Edit: Service manual says it's "below" the HVAC fan motor. No. That's where the wire bundle comes through the firewall. This connector lives near the ECM, behind the glovebox.] I pull it apart. BINGO! Two of the three wires seem OK, but the red one—circuit 2, my problem child—has melted the connector, and burnt the wire ends. (Green goes to the A/C clutch relay, and black/white stripe is a ground.)
You must be registered for see images attach

The other half of the connector:

I clipped the wire ends off of Circuit 2 at that connector, then plugged that connector back together as the other two wire connections are OK. Circuit 2 gets re-routed through a brand-new Weatherpack connector. There's no excess of wire, so I can't pull this connector out farther to show more detail.

I now have proper power at the control head, and two of my four control heads work except for the tiny light bulbs for night operation. The too-new unit with MAX button works, and has night-lights, and one is genuinely defective, I guess.

After examining the original control head, I did touch-up the solder at several points where the one circuit board plugs into the other. This will be the third time I've re-flowed the solder there. I expect it to last the usual two years before the display goes intermittent again.

The other working control head got the solder re-flowed at two connections, again, where the one board plugs into the other.

At some point real soon, I'm going to replace all the electrolytic capacitors on the pull-out circuit boards. Four each on the older boards, only one on the newer board. Electrolytic capacitors have a typical service life of about 20—25 years. They may leak, and corrode the circuit board traces. They may “vent” (industry term—my word for it is “explode”) where the housing is scored exactly for that purpose. And they may die silently—drifting capacitance value, or holding the correct capacitance but dramatically increasing the internal resistance. Point is, they have AT LEAST four failure modes, a recognized service life...and these caps are WAY beyond their service life expectancy. The largest capacitor on my original control board is leaking onto the circuit board, it's gotta go--and as long as I'm in there, the others are gonna vanish along with the failing one. I'm saving one more reply panel for that work.

[Later Edit]
Got brave, plugged-in the later ('92, I think) control head with the "MAX" button. Works perfectly, I like being able to control the recirculation actuator manually, and even has front-panel lights that actually light up. Until I get the original control head re-capped and the three unbelievably-small light bulbs replaced, this is what's in the truck now. (...maybe forever.) A potential down-side is that the recirculation door activated by the A/C compressor pressure is kind-of a safety feature, I don't know if this control head will defeat that, or if the pressure switch on the compressor will still move the recirculation actuator.

[/Later Edit]
Gonna look at this possibly tomorrow. As I mentioned in my luke warm heat post, my control head shuts down when it's cold. Eventually as the truck warms up, it'll come on, and the relays under the dash chatter until the interior temp comes up. Here's the weird part....if I turn on the parking lights, head lights, or a blinker when it's cold, the control will operate again. Then shut off. Turn on another, operating again. It's like the voltage change starts it up again briefly....very weird. It's incredibly frustrating. I know this truck is old and everything has a service life, but jeez. Everything related to temperature control in my truck is screwed LOL A new Dorman head is $250 bucks and it's the "Max" version. However, $250 clams is a lot for an old skool style part, new or not. I think I'll tinker with that black connector before I buy parts. You said it's behind the glovebox by the ECM, correct?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll tinker with that black connector before I buy parts. You said it's behind the glovebox by the ECM, correct?
VERY good idea, and yes, mine was behind the glove box.

This reminds me that I was going to update this thread by showing how to replace the three tiny lights that illuminate the control buttons. I have the lights--I think--but not the time or ambition to actually put them in.

I guess that'll have to move up on the priority list.

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
VERY good idea, and yes, mine was behind the glove box.

This reminds me that I was going to update this thread by showing how to replace the three tiny lights that illuminate the control buttons. I have the lights--I think--but not the time or ambition to actually put them in.

I guess that'll have to move up on the priority list.
My lights all work (I think....) but I'll look forward to your update. Didn't have time to check the connector today.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A bit of disassembly but nothing complex. Don't know what size the bulbs are, but they're the little bitty twist-in socket style.

Richard

Jerrys1990

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having blown fifty bucks on control heads that aren't helping me any, I decide to investigate the vehicle wiring. NOW I'm on the right track. I trace Circuit 2 which starts at the electrical power center under the plastic cover by the right hood hinge/firewall area. Circuit 2 has a fusible link at the power stud. Fusible link is good. There's power all the way through that wire to Position 12, but it's not “good” power, it's marginal power. If there's a load on the circuit, the voltage plummets like a paralyzed falcon.

There's a 3-wire connector (C323) behind the glovebox. [Edit: Service manual says it's "below" the HVAC fan motor. No. That's where the wire bundle comes through the firewall. This connector lives near the ECM, behind the glovebox.] I pull it apart. BINGO! Two of the three wires seem OK, but the red one—circuit 2, my problem child—has melted the connector, and burnt the wire ends. (Green goes to the A/C clutch relay, and black/white stripe is a ground.)

The other half of the connector:

I clipped the wire ends off of Circuit 2 at that connector, then plugged that connector back together as the other two wire connections are OK. Circuit 2 gets re-routed through a brand-new Weatherpack connector. There's no excess of wire, so I can't pull this connector out farther to show more detail.

I now have proper power at the control head, and two of my four control heads work except for the tiny light bulbs for night operation. The too-new unit with MAX button works, and has night-lights, and one is genuinely defective, I guess.

After examining the original control head, I did touch-up the solder at several points where the one circuit board plugs into the other. This will be the third time I've re-flowed the solder there. I expect it to last the usual two years before the display goes intermittent again.

The other working control head got the solder re-flowed at two connections, again, where the one board plugs into the other.

At some point real soon, I'm going to replace all the electrolytic capacitors on the pull-out circuit boards. Four each on the older boards, only one on the newer board. Electrolytic capacitors have a typical service life of about 20—25 years. They may leak, and corrode the circuit board traces. They may “vent” (industry term—my word for it is “explode”) where the housing is scored exactly for that purpose. And they may die silently—drifting capacitance value, or holding the correct capacitance but dramatically increasing the internal resistance. Point is, they have AT LEAST four failure modes, a recognized service life...and these caps are WAY beyond their service life expectancy. The largest capacitor on my original control board is leaking onto the circuit board, it's gotta go--and as long as I'm in there, the others are gonna vanish along with the failing one. I'm saving one more reply panel for that work.

[Later Edit]
Got brave, plugged-in the later ('92, I think) control head with the "MAX" button. Works perfectly, I like being able to control the recirculation actuator manually, and even has front-panel lights that actually light up. Until I get the original control head re-capped and the three unbelievably-small light bulbs replaced, this is what's in the truck now. (...maybe forever.) A potential down-side is that the recirculation door activated by the A/C compressor pressure is kind-of a safety feature, I don't know if this control head will defeat that, or if the pressure switch on the compressor will still move the recirculation actuator.

[/Later Edit]
Took the glovebox out and I believe I found the connector. Looks ok. I didn't pull it apart because I was leaving work, but I did jimmy it around a bit. Was all the damage inside? My truck is a mess....this morning the headlight switch caught fire...that was fun. Luckily one of our warehouses had a GM one in stock for $35 bucks. I need to isolate the headlight wiring with relays. New switch gets warm to the touch and makes me feel uneasy. The HVAC panel and now the headlight switch make me question the electrical integrity of this thing, especially because all the wiring is dirty and dusty. She's lived a hard life.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I found the connector. Looks ok. I didn't pull it apart because I was leaving work, but I did jimmy it around a bit. Was all the damage inside?
No. The outside of the plastic connector body was melted. In fact, it was hard to pull apart because the two pieces had kinda melted-together in one place.

I would pull it apart to verify the actual contacts inside.

Might be helpful to put a voltmeter on the alternator output terminal and ground, to see if your electrical system is properly regulated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Took the glovebox out and I believe I found the connector. Looks ok. I didn't pull it apart because I was leaving work, but I did jimmy it around a bit. Was all the damage inside? My truck is a mess....this morning the headlight switch caught fire...that was fun. Luckily one of our warehouses had a GM one in stock for $35 bucks. I need to isolate the headlight wiring with relays. New switch gets warm to the touch and makes me feel uneasy. The HVAC panel and now the headlight switch make me question the electrical integrity of this thing, especially because all the wiring is dirty and dusty. She's lived a hard life.
It's actually pretty normal for the headlight switch to get noticeably warm. The entire load for the headlight circuit travels through it. You can remove that load, lengthen its life, and brighten your headlights all in one shot by adding a relay to the circuit so that the switch operates just the relay (low load) and the relay runs the headlights straight from battery power, with larger gauge wiring. *EDIT - LOL I see you already understand that.

Richard