HT383E Stroker Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone done it? Results? Impressions? Videos? Dynos?

My 152K truck is still running great but I envision a day when it won't. I won't want to spend a ton of money ( < $5K) on a swap and want to keep it emissions legal / inspection passable while having substantially more power and a little lope.

I've been reading up on all the options and the HT383 seems like the best fit for me.

Here's the writeup Truckin' Magazine did: http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engine/0713tr_1996_chevy_truck/index.html

CrateEngineDepot has some somewhat reasonable prices.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 260K Burb is still runnin strong, so that day may be a bit farther off than you think :cheers:.

The HT383E is a great option, runs well, and will keep your truck emissions legal. A tune would be a good idea, to ensure you're getting all the extra power that you can, along with LT's.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinking the same thing when it comes to a Heart Transplant, i just broke 200k.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
LSx swap would be cheaper and you'd have more options.......................although you'd have a warranty with the 383. I've heard of one snapping the crank for what it's worth.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LSx swap would be cheaper and you'd have more options.......................although you'd have a warranty with the 383. I've heard of one snapping the crank for what it's worth.

For me it sounds pretty complicated to do a swap like this... thats why i was kinda leaning towards a plug and play setup.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ditto! This - exactly. HT383E Easy compared to LSx and other options.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
For me it sounds pretty complicated to do a swap like this... thats why i was kinda leaning towards a plug and play setup.

If you can put two wires together and solder them, you can swap in a GenIII or GenIV engine. No joke. The aftermarket has made it that simple.

To your point though, yes it is easier to swap in a 383, but you'll still need a tune which adds to the cost. It's your money though. :shrug:

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can put two wires together and solder them, you can swap in a GenIII or GenIV engine. No joke. The aftermarket has made it that simple.

To your point though, yes it is easier to swap in a 383, but you'll still need a tune which adds to the cost. It's your money though. :shrug:

I'm going to agree with Chris, The GenIV would actually meet a higher emissions standard than your truck came with. I have been researching this swap for several months now and I think it could be easier to do than you may think.

RGV2DRHOE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought about doing the HT383E swap also but after figuring out the economics of the project an lsx swap is much cheaper, and offers a load more of performance. Not to say that the 383 is a bad swap its a great swap "no replacement for displacement" I always say but the down fall of our L31's the intake will be the big down fall of the 383 swap. So I factored in 4k for the engine and then another 1k for a good intake, vs. 1500 for a ls 6.0 and good tune. Just my .02

Heres a little thread on an ht383e swap on z71tahoe-suburban.com
http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=11613&hl=ht383e