New Engine swap out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxChevyGuy

Reaction score
Before we get started. I dont want LS motor.

So my 94 c2500 with nv4500 is getting close to 300k miles. I will burn 2 quarts of oil every tank.

Doing some research it COULD be the valve seals. It could be rings. It smokes all the time but really bad upon hard acceleration

So I was looking at a few things.

First. It will be converted to Carburetor. I have had issues with the ECM getting hot and the engine shuts down or acts funny. My speedo output from the ECM isn't putting out and my fuel pump won't run on the ECM (have that already rewired)

So the options I have are

1. Junkyard TBI or Vortec engine. ($400‐600) plus tax

2. Jegs Crate engine. Reman. Sounds like ATK. TBI or Vortec ($1600) free shipping.

3. GM preformce L31 NEW Vortec for $2100

4. Rebuild the engine currently in it. ($1000+, really no idea on cost)

Here's what I wanna do.

Buy carb intake ($175)

If vortec drop in a LT4 hotcam or XR270HR ($300)

Rebuild my trusty Elderbrock 600 ($50)

Hooker headers ($275)

Mufflers ($160)

Exhaust work true dual ($200 I weld so that's no a issue)

That's all new prices on parts. I'm sure I can pick up intake and mufflers at a swap meet cheap.

But here's the issue.

How's the Jegs crate engines? I'm perfectly happy with the power of the TBI engine. If I gain extra 35 horses with vortec that's a no brainers.

But I would also like it to run off 87 pump and get decent mileage for the truck but easy to find parts and work on. The TB has left me stranded a few times once I figured out the ECM has a cold solder joint or something. Talking to Comp Cams the guy said that I should be able to run 87 pump gas with 9.3:1 compression ratio and their cam and the cam shouldn't drop milage that bad.

What you think.

1. Go with GM crate and hot rod out the engine

2. Go with Jegs Vortec and throw a carb on it and be happy. Keep rest stock

3. Go with TBI engine jegs/stock rebuild mine and throw a intake on it.

Main thing is 87 pump gas. Must be reliable for daily use amd get decent milage.

My wife says for me to "not spend money we dont have to impress people we dont like". I think she got that quote somewhere. After all I do have a ratrod in progress that I can throw some of the money at.

Her choice would be Jegs enginen swap meet intake, stock exhaust and carburetor. Without sticking with the TBI intake setup which might cause more headaches. I know forsire that elderbrock is reliable. Had it for 6 years on my 352 Galaxie. Daily drove it 70 miles a day.

I'm planning on keeping this truck for another 300k miles.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your ECM will not run a vortec engine. If you go with a carbed engine, then why not get the engine built the way you want it. Blueprint engines offers a wide range of engines built just about any way you want it. Jegs and Summit both offer blueprint crate engines. You can even call blueprint engines and talk to a tech that can help you choose an engine. Here is there web sight.
https://blueprintengines.com/

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the record the PCM has nothing to do with the speedo, unless the input is somehow shorted. Speedometer gets is signal from the VSSB aka DRAC module.

TxChevyGuy

Reaction score
Your ECM will not run a vortec engine. If you go with a carbed engine, then why not get the engine built the way you want it. Blueprint engines offers a wide range of engines built just about any way you want it. Jegs and Summit both offer blueprint crate engines. You can even call blueprint engines and talk to a tech that can help you choose an engine. Here is there web sight.
https://blueprintengines.com/

I was gonna go with a blueprint engine. But I have to keep in mind how much this truck is worth and also new clutch thrown in.

• $2,799 Longblock Includes: Oil pan, timing cover, valve covers and individual dyno results
  • $3,199 Dressed Longblock includes: Above plus intake manifold, distributor and harmonic balancer installed
  • $3,499 Fully Dressed includes: Above plus Carburetor
  • $3,799 Drop In Ready includes: Above plus waterpump, air cleaner, spark plugs and spark plug wires
  • $5,199 Complete to pulleys: Above plus installed pulley kit with alternator, power steering and air conditioning
Plus the $185 for shipping and $275 for tax. Ends up being a 4400 engine in a 800 truck. Lol

For the record the PCM has nothing to do with the speedo, unless the input is somehow shorted. Speedometer gets is signal from the VSSB aka DRAC module.

Yep. But it's an issue with the truck. I have fan blowing on the ECM body. Either way, the TBI has to go. I can't trust how much hacking the wiring harness has suffered.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A remanufactured ECM is about 80 bucks from places like rock auto and such, just remove the PROM from your original and install in the new ECM

DRAC modules, I think I still have a brand new one with the DIP switches in it that I’ll let go. (The DIP switches allow you to change calibration to suit your needs unlike the originals that have to have the broadcast code changed for gear changes or tire size changes, etc)

Find someone pulling their engine for an LS swap, and buy it, put on the tbi intake, etc and save money. You should be able to hear the engine run, check oil pressure, etc. That allows more money for your hot rod project.
I’m sure several of us can help with the tbi wiring issues

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The thong that comes to mind is, if you start swapping out parts on a crate engine, wont this void there warenty.

TxChevyGuy

Reaction score
The thong that comes to mind is, if you start swapping out parts on a crate engine, wont this void there warenty.

Probably, but I have heard warranty on any crate engine is a pain to get honored if you do the swap yourself. So I prefer the best quality for my money.

I'm leaning towards the GM and just running headers and carb. The vortec already makes enough power for daily driving.

rebuild your engine with upgraded components..

Or junkyard engine with lower miles and rebuild it. Bullet proof it.

I can't rebuild the engine that's currently in there since it's my daily driver and I would swap it over on a 4 day weekend. And the junkyard all claim that their engines are low milage, but I dont see any under 100k gmt400 in their yards.

Rebuilding it isn't hard or too expensive. But it's the machine shop work that can cost a arm and leg. My 352 cost $700 ten years ago for turning crank and .030 over bore and install cam bearings. After a decent engine kit and cam kit your at almost what the GM crate would cost

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably, but I have heard warranty on any crate engine is a pain to get honored if you do the swap yourself. So I prefer the best quality for my money.

I'm leaning towards the GM and just running headers and carb. The vortec already makes enough power for daily driving.

I can't rebuild the engine that's currently in there since it's my daily driver and I would swap it over on a 4 day weekend. And the junkyard all claim that their engines are low milage, but I dont see any under 100k gmt400 in their yards.

Rebuilding it isn't hard or too expensive. But it's the machine shop work that can cost a arm and leg. My 352 cost $700 ten years ago for turning crank and .030 over bore and install cam bearings. After a decent engine kit and cam kit your at almost what the GM crate would cost

Another option would be buy a 350 short block. Bolt the aftermarket heads of your choice or modified Vortecs and whatever cam you want into it.

I think my coworker paid about $850 a couple of years ago to have the short block built with flat top pistons. Still runs great in his Yukon.