Howling noise while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corey

Reaction score
Hey guys im getting a howling sound coming from the driver side, at any speed above 15 mph. I can feel it vibrating in the steering wheel. Sound like a wheel bearing? My first thought was improperly setup rear end gears but after inspecting the wear pattern they look fine. Im going to tear into it tomorrow and check out the front wheel bearings. The truck is a 88 c1500 with drop spindles and drop shackles. Not sure on the amount of drop though cant remember right now.
I also get a intermittent shake like an unbalanced wheel. Its weird how it comes and goes though it shakes like 3-4 times then stops for a second. Then does it again. Da-da-da-da pause da-da-da-da. And so on, any insight is helpful like i said ill tear it apart in the morning. Thanks!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347759506001.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347759506001.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 21

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howling sound could be drive wheel bearings for sure. I would have the wheels balanced too. Not only will you get them balanced, but possible you have a bent rim too.

Corey

Reaction score
"Drive" as in the rear bearings? I was thinking front because I can feel it in the steering wheel? And i don't think I have a bent wheel because they are mint, no scratches or curbing. Thanks

Corey

Reaction score
That's what ill try first then. I also hear a scraping sound that's intermittent, could be the rear brakes though being drum. Ill check into that also

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the wheel bearings for the noise and the pitman and idler arms for your shake.

Corey

Reaction score
Wheel bearings were the culprit. The howling is gone. I also put a new set of stock mirrors on and some ventshades. And detailed the engine bay a little.
You must be registered for see images attach