How To : Upgrade stock bulbs to 9012/9011 Or HIR1/HIR2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't trim a whole tab off lol

Really?
You must be registered for see images attach

By the way, the tab trimming is very well-documented across the internet. A very small cut to the center tab is all that is needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

I asked here, no one had heard of it

Really?

If you search this forum for "9012" you'll find several other threads about them, some recent...

Everyone's a critic :33:
No; just some people are very unobservant. I'm not one of them.

Richard

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Sigh... You win the Internet dude... Nevertheless, I'm happy with my bulbs, tabs, and write up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
So, it's basically a bolt in, I mean, I used a cut off wheel on a grinder, but you could use a hot butter knife to trim the tabs.

Dead serious, a toe nail clipper works best for trimming those tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dead serious, a toe nail clipper works best for trimming those tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was about to post this, very true.

One thing to keep in mind about this mod (and one of the reasons I never ended up doing it) is that the HIR bulbs don't have any shielding on the tips of the bulbs like the factory halogens do. If your headlight assemblies don't have glare caps like you'd use with HIDs, you're going to be making some oncoming traffic unhappy.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Was about to post this, very true.

One thing to keep in mind about this mod (and one of the reasons I never ended up doing it) is that the HIR bulbs don't have any shielding on the tips of the bulbs like the factory halogens do. If your headlight assemblies don't have glare caps like you'd use with HIDs, you're going to be making some oncoming traffic unhappy.
I did not know that, interesting.

So far I haven't been getting flashed in the Trailblazer, I guess time will tell.

Pampo'sTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It helped me. I wouldn't have known to search for 9012. I searched for headlight on my phone when i was at walmart earlier getting a tire put on my truck and got 0 results. Prob my phone but just saying. Also I'm not a member on other forums. Only here.

Not everyone is going to have the 411 or even have any idea of what might be possible to even search for it in the first place.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Thanks! I know I hadn't heard about it when I did it to my Trailblazer. Of course the info was out there for me to find, that's why I posted the links I did.

I don't know everything, but this works for me.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sigh... You win the Internet dude... Nevertheless, I'm happy with my bulbs, tabs, and write up

Wasn't trying to win anything, doof. You couldn't take a small amount of constructive criticism and decided to get butthurt and try to be snarky with me, and got shut down. Life's short; move on.

Richard