How Much Can YOU Haul IN 1/2 Ton???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, I am going to throw in my .02 on this.

As per motortrend.com the GVWR of a 1996 K1500 is 6,200 lbs. The empty weight is 4,836 lbs. That means you have a useful payload of 1,364 lbs. If you put yourself in the seat at 200 lbs, and fill your 32 gallon fuel tank full, and have another 200 lbs of tools, gear, jumper cables ect in the truck. That means your useful payload is now down to about 753 lbs. That is not hard to exceed. Basically you can haul a big block Chevy in the back of your truck and that is about all it should be carrying.

As per motortrend.com the maximum trailer weight should be 6500 lbs. Say you are pulling a 16'x83" car trailer a 6000 lb cap trailer (I referenced a Big Tex 60CH) will weigh 1670 lbs. Thus you should technically tow no more than 4,830 lbs on that trailer, This assumes 6,000 lbs distributed to the trailer axles (2x3500 lbs) and 500 LBS on the hitch. Anything more than that you are entering the danger zone.

This is because even though many guys will upgrade springs with overloads, or put a lift in to carry more weight, your brakes still are not up to the job, your tires ect. If you need to tow more than that, you need to move to a heavier truck.

To give an idea between a half and a 1 ton, on my C3500 dually it has a 10,000lb GVW, and can handle 24,000 lbs worth of trailer. I am not about to do that because I'd be at 34,000 lbs and I'd be keeping a log book. So I stay under 26,000 lbs cause I don't like messing with the HOS or the Scales.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Just recently picked up a pallet of 8x16 terra cotta flu liners for some chimney jobs. Not sure the weight but it was enough that the guy at the yard said he wouldn't load it in a stock truck.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Guys, I am going to throw in my .02 on this.

As per motortrend.com the GVWR of a 1996 K1500 is 6,200 lbs. The empty weight is 4,836 lbs. That means you have a useful payload of 1,364 lbs. If you put yourself in the seat at 200 lbs, and fill your 32 gallon fuel tank full, and have another 200 lbs of tools, gear, jumper cables ect in the truck. That means your useful payload is now down to about 753 lbs. That is not hard to exceed. Basically you can haul a big block Chevy in the back of your truck and that is about all it should be carrying.

As per motortrend.com the maximum trailer weight should be 6500 lbs. Say you are pulling a 16'x83" car trailer a 6000 lb cap trailer (I referenced a Big Tex 60CH) will weigh 1670 lbs. Thus you should technically tow no more than 4,830 lbs on that trailer, This assumes 6,000 lbs distributed to the trailer axles (2x3500 lbs) and 500 LBS on the hitch. Anything more than that you are entering the danger zone.

This is because even though many guys will upgrade springs with overloads, or put a lift in to carry more weight, your brakes still are not up to the job, your tires ect. If you need to tow more than that, you need to move to a heavier truck.

To give an idea between a half and a 1 ton, on my C3500 dually it has a 10,000lb GVW, and can handle 24,000 lbs worth of trailer. I am not about to do that because I'd be at 34,000 lbs and I'd be keeping a log book. So I stay under 26,000 lbs cause I don't like messing with the HOS or the Scales.

How do u make God laugh?...............Make plans. ;)

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I towed a '65 Chrysler Newport on an 18' Carson car hauler from Las Cruces to Phoenix. Pretty scary but kept it at 55mph the whole way. Transmission **** the bed a week later...

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Hauled a huge refrigerator once. Pretty easy task. The heaviest thing i've probably hauled was a bed-load of top soil. It wasn't a challange, but the tires were beggin' for mercy

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
The most I've ever pulled with my 97 was an old empty hay wagon and an empty trailer a few times, and i haul my Fourwheeler all the time with it.
You must be registered for see images attach

my 94 when it had 33's and 4.56's i hauled my buddys z71 on an 18foot car hauler about 10 miles and i hauled a load of square bales about 20 miles once. that was a long trip in 3rd gear. lol lots of fuel burned.

A long time ago when my dad truck was broken and a hurricane was coming we had to move my dads cows so we used my old 93 which was lower 3/4. used a homemade 16' cattle trailer (which is heavy enough in itself) with 1 bull 4 momma cows and 3 calfs. Luckily we only had to go a few miles cause the frame was sitting on the rearend!

MrBeast

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey this is me haulin a 1/2 ton does that count? :********:

You must be registered for see images attach