How hard will this be to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Reaction score
Had a little incident with a dumpster. Best/cheapest/fastest/easiest/most creative solutions?

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think sectioning in a piece from a salvage yard would be a common sense decent fix. The best fix would be a new 1/4 but that would be very costly. If you are not doing it yourself there is no cheap fix.
If you plan to fix it yourself do not cut the damage off till you weld something to it and pull it back forward where it belongs.

mistaake

Reaction score
I think sectioning in a piece from a salvage yard would be a common sense decent fix. The best fix would be a new 1/4 but that would be very costly. If you are not doing it yourself there is no cheap fix.
If you plan to fix it yourself do not cut the damage off till you weld something to it and pull it back forward where it belongs.
Thanks, how would I pull it back to close enough to where it belongs? If I can pull it back into place it would still be dented but at least my door would open (currently it doesn't, probably there is too much pressure on the rod thing) and it would be less obvious and I don't have to come up with something right away. I mean, it seems that is all pretty thick metal... I was going like 60mph when I hit the dumpster.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would either weld a piece of 1/8" thick piece of steel to the are pushed back the most with a hole in it and pull it with a come along and tree. If you can get access to the inside you can drill a hole put a piece of angle iron inside and bolt a chain to the angle iron and pull on that. It is always easier to repair collision damage if you can get the original metal roughed out to where it belongs before cutting it apart. While pulling you tap around the damaged area to relieve pressure while pulling. If you put a strain on the damage and tap around and on high spots you will see it start to move.Pull a little more and tap some more.The idea is to relieve the stress the damage has put on the metal