How do I get to 5/6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Make sure when you get those lowering leafs that they aren't based on the original leaf packs, to maintain the sporty ride you seem to be aiming at, I would suggest using the lowering spring packs made using thicker leafs. The ones made from stock will lower it, but they attain that by making your rear leaf setup weaker(removing leafs from stock spring packs), this is why the lowering leaf kits are labeled as like 3"-5"(big range) depending on the length of vehicle. Typically the reg cabs get 3", ext cabs get 4", and crew cabs get 5" of drop from the same lowering kit.

If you can find someone that has used these(I don't even know if they're still sold for the obs trucks), then ask them how they work, they were listed as racing springs for the sport/rally trucks, they're 1.5" thick mono leafs with roller tip traction bars usually included with the kit, or optioned for the mono leaf kits.

Whatever you decide to do, please stay away from welding or bolting your leafs together. Welds break and bolt holes cause weak spots.

Almost forgot, if you have a junkyard near you with an old el camino in it, look at the rear suspension setup on it....maybe that will give you an idea. I'm copying the rear suspension setup from my 82 caballero(GMC version of el camino) for my '95, I didn't like the idea of leafs under the back with a big block(also static dropping).

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh yeah(i think i need more brain juice...aka coffee) Hey, since stroker mentioned a triangle... ;) why not go really old skool and run a grader ball(single link) rear end....just kidding haha.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, I will definatley keep this stuff in mind. I gotta keep the cost down since I'm already WAY over my budget. Lookin at about 12,500 right now for the build, plus the $6K for purchase.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Wow, I will definatley keep this stuff in mind. I gotta keep the cost down since I'm already WAY over my budget. Lookin at about 12,500 right now for the build, plus the $6K for purchase.

Oh yeah, my drivetrain upgrade(engine, tranny, driveshaft, axle)is just now hitting the $9k mark....if a shop were doing it, would probably be closer to your final cost haha. Building a 6-speed with a 1000tq-rating kit isn't the easiest and that along with the driveshaft is the only thing I'm having the shop handle.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whatcha looking to get out of the stock wheels/tires? and your hangers/shackles?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
whatcha looking to get out of the stock wheels/tires? and your hangers/shackles?

If I don't re-use my hangers/shackles on my rcsb, I'll be listing them also. Leafs are cool, but when possible, best to convert to coil sprung rear....unless you're actually using your truck as a truck :crazy:

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I don't re-use my hangers/shackles on my rcsb, I'll be listing them also. Leafs are cool, but when possible, best to convert to coil sprung rear....unless you're actually using your truck as a truck :crazy:

yeah Ill prolly leave it for now and then when some money saves itself in my bank then Ill do a coil string setup... I dont need bags to be cool

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if you were talkin to me or MOBS but I have someone semi interested in my wheel and tire setup, but for the shackle's and hangers I really don't know what they'd be worth? I prolly need to get rid of em, since I won't need em for sure. Whats a good price?